Best Mobo To Use With E8400 Cpu & 2 X 2gb & Gtx280

Dontfollowme

Hi

After all the advice you guys have provided me, I've decided that it'll be a E8400 CPU, 2 x 2GB RAM and 1 x 160GB Raptor Drive. The rest of the stuff has still to be decided.

The heart of my problem is the Mobo. I've been advised to get either a gigabyte - P35-DS4 or x38-dq6. I thought the 35's and the 38's are dated? Or am I wrong? I'm only guessing at the idea just a thought. I would rather have just the one board to pick from as I can get confused very easily!

The other is the graphics card. I'm no genius on either of these 2 components and would gladly accept any wisdom from you guys. I've more or less decided it'll be a GTX280 and it'll run as a single card. Is this wrong? Is there a better card out there that doesn't cost the earth and it'll keep up with the GTX280?

This forum is ideal for me. It is full of enthusiasts who has done that, been there, got the T-shirt. If you want something done right, you go to the professionals don't you? That's why I'm here asking you guys!!!

Dontfollowme

Hi

After all the advice you guys have provided me, I've decided that it'll be a E8400 CPU, 2 x 2GB RAM and 1 x 160GB Raptor Drive. The rest of the stuff has still to be decided.

The heart of my problem is the Mobo. I've been advised to get either a gigabyte - P35-DS4 or x38-dq6. I thought the 35's and the 38's are dated? Or am I wrong? I'm only guessing at the idea just a thought. I would rather have just the one board to pick from as I can get confused very easily!

The other is the graphics card. I'm no genius on either of these 2 components and would gladly accept any wisdom from you guys. I've more or less decided it'll be a GTX280 and it'll run as a single card. Is this wrong? Is there a better card out there that doesn't cost the earth and it'll keep up with the GTX280?

This forum is ideal for me. It is full of enthusiasts who has done that, been there, got the T-shirt. If you want something done right, you go to the professionals don't you? That's why I'm here asking you guys!!!

Dontfollowme

If you want to stay nvidia then the 9800GX2 is 200 bucks less and the same speed as the GT280. 4870X2 should theoretically also give the same or more performance for 250 bucks less then the GT280, but is not released yet so it's performance is still speculation. If you fold a lot, or are willing to gamble on future benefits of CUDA, then the gt280 may be worth it to you. IMO by the time cuda apps are widespread enough to warrant a card that support it, nvidias offerings will be much faster(and hopefully cheaper) anyway.

For the mobo it depends on your ram. For price:performance the X38 chipset and 4 gigs of DDR2-1066 is hard to beat. I am a converted Asus lover. Two years ago I bashed them consistantly for bloated products with sub par performance and no overclockability, but now it seems that all overclocking and benchmark records are being set with Asus motherboards and graphics cards. I am on my third asus mobo(two 939 systems and my current wolfy rig) and my next graphics card will be an Asus(maybe two) as well. They have really turned themselves around and are now a top tier vendor for the hardcore enthusiasts.

I would personally opt for the P45 if your going the single card route, they give almost the same performance if not better then the X48.

The Asus P5Qpro seems to be a good option atm.

As for the video card the GTX 280 is a monster card, but if you want something of equal match that would be two 4850's in crossfire. But they would run in a x8/x8 mode if you go with a P45 motherboard.

4850 CF - $400

GTX 280 -$650 and only about 10-15FPS more (in some games)

Multi GPU - http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3338&p=14

single GPU - http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3338&p=6

Edited by damian

I'd also suggest the P45 Asus PQ5 pro, with 2x 4850's, almost $200 cheaper, and is really really close in performance. For the performance increase that the GTX280 gives over the Crossfired 4850's it's so hard to justify paying nearly the cost of all your other parts combined for the GTX280. Then again, I'm always buying in the price/performance range of cards.

So for me I just can't imagine going that far up for a single Video Card.