</3 Ps3

cirro

i love my ps3, except i cant play ps2 games on it.

is it because its the 40gb version?

is there some workaround? or can i just update the ps3 ?(never connected it to internet)

The PS3 40gb, has no backwards compat. There is no workaround. There is also no emulation for PS1/2 on Linux that will work.

Your choices are either get a 60gb or 80gb PS3 or just play them on your PS2.

Edited by Krazyxazn

i heard the 40gb is getting a firmware upgrade to support ps2 playback sometime during the summer. if i can find the news post i'll show it.

yep the 20, 60 and 80gb all play ps2 games, the 20 and 60 has the ps2 chip built in and the 80gb uses the Cell to emulate it. it's Sony choice not to support the 40 since theres nothing wrong with the hardware/missing.

go find a 20gb, i saw a few used for $250.

i was so confused because it will play ps1 games butnot ps2... how frustrating.\

i hope the firmware update does come.

i just bought it like 2 mo's ago.

i just assumed by now it would have major kinks like that worked out

plus for the first time i dont get 100% good playback on my dvds.. man.. what a let down

I have yet to try a dvd, I rip all my media into .vob to put on the PS3 hd. So I have no problem with playback issues. What kind of problems do you have with dvd playback?

I believe this is wat hornybluecow was referring to http://ps3.qj.net/Rumor-PS2-backwards-comp...g/49/aid/120806

Says by a firmware update in Oct.

Edited by Krazyxazn

Even with the incredible power of the cell processor it wont be a perfect emulation by any means, it might sound easy but when completely different hardware lies between a piece of software its hard to get it right...

That is if it ends up being released at all...

Edited by Andrewr05

the playback problem is with the audio. sounds like the audio is "segmented" sounds like its for a 19fps movie..

Not sure, but I would suggest updating your firmware since you haven't done that yet. Maybe Sony fixed it in one of the updates.

Even with the incredible power of the cell processor it wont be a perfect emulation by any means, it might sound easy but when completely different hardware lies between a piece of software its hard to get it right...

That is if it ends up being released at all...

you're missing the point. The only difference between 40 and 80 version is the hard drive size (which by the why you can swap out anytime for a much larger one, does not void warranty). This point alone is the fact that sony by choice does not support ps2 playback on the 40gb version for sheer marketing.

also cirro i would get the newest firmware which add DTS-MA and fixes PCM playback issues (which could be the audio lag you're having.

when i see those 20gbs down to about 230ish i gonna snag one, drop a 160gb and still have it be cheaper than a 40gb. With true ps2 playback support might i add. Sony pulled a fast one a people and i'm kinda mad now seeing people get ripped off.

Totally forgot they even made a PS3 20gb. Sounds like a good deal, but I already bought a PS3 80gb/ MGS4 bundle. I don't use wi-fi or the memory card slots. I don't play old PS1/2 games anyways so full or partial backwards compat. doesn't matter to me. Price does :(

Upgraded 80gb to 400gb :D. Yes it will be full soon, once I get my cable to transfer files. Will use the 80gb as an external transportable hard drive.