Really Bad Problem With My Car!

Queenz

Today I happened to be taking my van to the dealership to have the transmission oil changed. While I was there, me and my mechanic noticed a busted axle I didn't even know I had. It happened sometime within the last week when I had some new sports shocks put on and the moron forgot to remove the axle or something while doing it. Anyways there was this black goey stuff all over the axle and around the seal or something. Had it replaced and everything until we ran into another problem by controller arms on the bottom are broken on the bottom. Completely ripped apart and separated, which pretty much explains the terrible vibrating I was getting from the steering wheel. Cost $1000 in total to replace. He told me it's not a life or death thing but it will wear out my suspension little by little. Anyways spent about $299 for the flush and refilling of CVT transmission fluid, plus another $90 something for the replacement of my axle. Anyways I don't know if I should spend the $1000 to have it fixed so I don't end up spending more in the end, or just let it go. The money is not a problem it's just I don't want to have something fixed that won't harm me or my car.

You spent $300 for a transmission flush? Wow, bend over.

IIRC you were looking at buying another car anyway. Just sell this one after you buy another one, and don't bother with it, unless it's life and death. Most people are idiots and will buy it anyway. Unless you're afraid that they'll come shank you in your sleep.

Sounds like the axle was just a busted CV boot, and based on fixing price I would say that's what it was (about $15 for the part for the ones I've replaced) Not knowing a whole heck of a lot about the exact suspension setup on that vehicle I cant really say what you should do, but most of the time if it's causing vibrations especially it's not something to ignore, though take it to an independent mechanic (non dealer) and get them to check it out and get an estimate from them, $1000 seems high unless the parts are insane and it's a total PITA to fix (though it is a Nissan...)

EDIT: and KB, if it's a real trans flush on a CVT trans, that's not the rape you're acting like it is. Now if it was a usual cheapo drop the pan, change a filter, fill 'er up job, then yes...rape it was.

All this talk reminds me my truck is due a transmission service, just of the cheapo backyard kind (it wont fit in the shop, and even if it would I'm still waiting for a MT transaxle for mom's old Mirage) :)

Get the parts from your local junkyard... lower conrtol arms arn't that expensive, take them to a small local shop to have them installed,

If you were closer I'd do them for you, but your 36 hours away.

Should drop the price easily 400$ And I would definetly look into replacing them. Steering and suspension compnets should NEVER be overlooked!!!

*** *** Suspension and steering componets are one of the top five leading casues of fatal crashes *** ***

And I do belive in NY you won't pass inspection with them that way. ( I think you guys have the almost the same saftey inspection VA does.)

Edited by pvtgump

You spent $300 for a transmission flush? Wow, bend over.

IIRC you were looking at buying another car anyway. Just sell this one after you buy another one, and don't bother with it, unless it's life and death. Most people are idiots and will buy it anyway. Unless you're afraid that they'll come shank you in your sleep.

Do you even know how much CVT Fluid costs a quart??? :blink: It's not the same like ATF and others

Takes 12 quarts at about 17 bucks a quart. I'd do it myself but I'm not too good when messing with fluids in cars. I was thinking of taking it to nappa and see how much they want to have the controller arms done.

BTW how often should I replace my radiator cap?? I saw these nismo caps and they sound pretty good. They operate at 18.2 LBS compared to 16.8 lbs my stock cap is

Edited by QueenzPCfreak90

Not to mention without the proper equipment a trans flush with full fluid replacement is impossible.

Plus the closest I got to putting fluid in my car was window washer fluid

BTW how often should I replace my radiator cap??

Never unless the only one starts leaking.

As for the repairs - anything that has to do with the suspension (especially the control arms) needs to be fixed PRONTO if you want your vehicle to be safe. Suspension components are not something to leave till they break.

Never had heard of CVT fluid, but 16 a quart is rape. But I'm cheap and don't fix what doesn't need it badly. For the money it'll cost to replace, you could sell it to some random person and use the rest of your money to buy an actual car. With better gas mileage. Or a motorcycle. Or if you're going to keep this for more than another three or four days, I'd get it fixed, or run it a bit closer.

The others lie. You'll be fine if your suspension takes a . while you're doing 75 down the interstate. In fact, you'll be safer without a seatbelt too <_<

Never had heard of CVT fluid, but 16 a quart is rape. But I'm cheap and don't fix what doesn't need it badly. For the money it'll cost to replace, you could sell it to some random person and use the rest of your money to buy an actual car. With better gas mileage. Or a motorcycle. Or if you're going to keep this for more than another three or four days, I'd get it fixed, or run it a bit closer.

The others lie. You'll be fine if your suspension takes a . while you're doing 75 down the interstate. In fact, you'll be safer without a seatbelt too <_<

Here is it:

A continuously variable transmission (CVT) is a transmission which can change steplessly through an infinite number of effective gear ratios between maximum and minimum values. This contrasts with other mechanical transmissions that only allow a few different discrete gear ratios to be selected. The flexibility of a CVT allows the driving shaft to maintain a constant angular velocity over a range of output velocities. This can provide better fuel economy than other transmissions by enabling the engine to run at its most efficient revolutions per minute (RPM) for a range of vehicle speeds.