How to write over shell32.dll in xp ?

mojeng

I have modified the file shell32.dll in ME with reshacker, I changed the dialog boxes, icons, etc. Now my ME looks very cool !

I've tried to hack that file in XP too, but I have a problem writing it over, because the file is in use. and the folder that contains it, is read-only.  Is there any way to deactivate the file ? Or just turn off the folder attribute ?

I've tried to do this on other XP (I took my harddisk off, and hope to write it there), but the read-only attributes still can't be turned off.

Anybody can help?

• 1 month later...

I'm using reshack and paint shop pro.  I succeeded in changing the bitmaps in shell32.dll.  They don't display, however.  I believe I was wrong in believing that the bitmaps displayed over the logon dialogue for secure logons are found in shell32.dll.  I sure would like to know how to change them.

Click on your start button -> then Run and type in "%systemroot%\system32\Restore" without the quotes. Now you should see the file filelist.xml. What? You don't see it? We can fix that. In windows explorer click Tools->Folder Options->View and scroll down where it says Hide protected operating system files (recommend) and un-check it. Also click where it says Show hidden files and folders, and uncheck Hide extensions for unknown file types. Lastly, hit Ok. Now, you should see filelist.xml listed. Right click on filelist.xml and click properties. Uncheck where it says Read Only and then click OK. Good, now we can edit filelist.xml. Right click filelist.xml again, and click Open with then on Notepad. The file should now be opened in notepad. This is where Windows File Protection looks to see if it needs to protect a file or not. Where it says:

%windir%\system.ini

add this a line above it:
<REC>%systemroot%\shell32.dll</REC>

Now, click file -> Save. (NOT Save as)

Next click on your start menu-> run and type in "%systemroot%\system32\dllcache" without the quotes. In this DIR, find and delete shell32.dll This is a backup copy of shell32.dll and windows might try and replace this copy with your hacked copy if it isn't deleted. After you delete it, windows will popup a message, just hit cancel then yes.

Always backup shell32.dll incase something goes wrong.

I've been through all this.  There is no shell32.dll in my dllcache folder.  Nothing is replacing the shell32.dll file that I hacked.  The bitmaps in shell32.dll don't seem to be the bitmaps that are displayed by the secure logon dialogues.  I still think the proper question is "WHERE are the bitmaps stored for the secure logons?"