Building A New Gaming Pc. Help And Advice Required Please! *update

Dontfollowme

Hi

Newbie here. I wanted to register with this forum as I reckon all you guys know what you're talking about when it comes to building high spec gaming pcs.

Right now i've got a shuttle pc, P4 3.0ghz 1gb ram and a 7600 gs oc graphics card. Nothing special I know so that's why i'm here ;) .

I've been looking about for a while now and here's what I've come up with so far:

Thermaltake Armor + LCS case

E8400 CPU

Motherboard (need advice on which brand/type/spec)

Asus NVidia GeForce 9800GTX 512MB Graphics Card

4GB RAM (need advice on which brand/type/spec)

500 GB HD (need advice on which brand/type/spec)

Now, the Thermaltake Case has to stay as I really like the look of it (another reason is that I've already ordered it!). Everything else can be changed for the better.

The E8400 CPU was just an idea - low cost cpu and overclocks well. This can be changed.

The motherboard I haven't decided as the CPU isn't really a definate. Suggestions please.

Asus graphics card was just an idea (from eBay!) This can be changed.

4GB RAM. Suggestions please.

500 GB HD. Suggestions please.

I've just re-read what i just typed and basically I haven't decided on anything except for the case!!!

All I want really is a high spec pc which can play on-line Call of Duty 4 standing on its head. If all this haven't confused you yet...... You do you guys think about this PC?

Thanks for listening and all advice is greatly apprecaited!

Dontfollowme

Edited by Dontfollowme

I wouldn't buy a 9800gtx from ebay. New parts are usually cheaper from a real store, like newegg. Not to mention if you had to use the warranty or needed customer service. Not sure where you live, if you can buy from a store like this. They have the galaxy brand 9800gtx for $219usd at the moment, and some stores have had the xfx brand (with lifetime warranty) down to $218usd, although that deal is dead right now I expect if you wait and shop around for a week or so you could find it again.

As far as motherboard, I suggest any gigabyte model that your 8400 (nice choice) will fit into, and has everything you need, like number of usb ports, sata ports, raid, etc.

Memory - personally don't think the brand matters a whole lot, just get some that is fast enough to not be a bottleneck on the 8400 - if you plan on overclocking. And I'd get two 2gb sticks in case you need to upgrade later you don't want four 1gb sticks laying around.

harddrive - again I don't think brand matters too much. Since I hate load times, I like the new velociraptor (its 300mb) but it's a little more expensive than others. If you don't get velociraptor, atleast get one with a larger cache 16 or 32mb, and atleast 7200rpm.

Edited by Fight Game

Thanks for the advice Fight Game.

I live in the UK but I have friends in the USA. Some American companies don't like shipping to the UK but my friend can do all the donkey work for me! ;)

Can I just pick the most recent/high gigabyte model I can find or is there a difference in them? Not entirely sure what the chipsets mean when it comes to the spec of motherboards.

Did you look at that gaming pc that i had a link to? What do you think of that one? Was thinking of just buying it as a whole rather than building it myself. Saves me all the time and grief!!!! LOL!

Dontfollowme

Thanks for the advice Fight Game.

I live in the UK but I have friends in the USA. Some American companies don't like shipping to the UK but my friend can do all the donkey work for me! ;)

Can I just pick the most recent/high gigabyte model I can find or is there a difference in them? Not entirely sure what the chipsets mean when it comes to the spec of motherboards.

Did you look at that gaming pc that i had a link to? What do you think of that one? Was thinking of just buying it as a whole rather than building it myself. Saves me all the time and grief!!!! LOL!

Dontfollowme

If your looking to SLI i would get an EVGA/XFX 780i. Only thing is NB temps like to get high so have good airflow.

On the memory OCZ/Corsair are both good brands. Also heard good things about mushkin.

If you built a computer using the specs listed in your first post, it would cost ~$1500 (US), probably less. (Sorry don't have the time to get exact prices) So why would you consider buying a $5000+ computer, that doesn't offer much performance gain, especially if you overclock?

I have a computer that is about the specs you listed and it flies through Call of Duty 4, no problems whatsoever...

My advice is to build your own computer and avoid the one in the link.

Update!Update!

I've been listening to you guys and here's what I've come across, I would like your opinions please:

ThermalTake CASE ARMOR JR. VC3000SWA SIL WINDOW

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 (2 x 3.0 GHZ) 1333FSB - 6 MB

XFX SKT-775 (MB-N780-ISH9) nForce 780i 1333FSB

Corsair 4GB PC3-10666C7 1333MHz (2x2GB) DDR3

Asus 1GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 280 GDDR3

ThermalTake W0132 1000W TOUGHPOWER CABLE MANAGEMENT RET

WD VelociRaptor 300GB UDMA 300 10000RPM 16MB

ASUS DVD

ThermalTake CASE ARMOR JR. VC3000SWA SIL WINDOW

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 (2 x 3.0 GHZ) 1333FSB - 6 MB

XFX SKT-775 (MB-N780-ISH9) nForce 780i 1333FSB

Corsair 4GB PC3-10666C7 1333MHz (2x2GB) DDR3

Asus 1GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 280 GDDR3

ThermalTake W0132 1000W TOUGHPOWER CABLE MANAGEMENT RET

ASUS DVD

Right Guys!!

I've researched into this a bit more and here's what I've come up with so far:

Thermaltake Armor+ Case - Not LCS version.

E8400 CPU

ASUS P5K Premium "Black Pearl" Edition Motherboard - Is this mobo OK?

Thermaltake Toughpower 1000W PSU

A single 9800GTX or GX2 Graphics Card

2 x 2GB RAM

I'm still not sure about the Mobo or the graphics card. I think this is where if I chose the wrong components it could end up bottlenecking the whole rig! I would consider other mobos like the P5Q but I reallym don't know the difference!

The graphics card is still a sticking point too. 9800 GTX or GX2?

Dontfollowme

The difference between the P5Q and P5K is their chipsets, the Q is on the P45 and the K is on the P35. The big difference between the 2 comes when running 2 video cards in crossfire on them. With the P45 running both cards in 8x/8x and the P35 running the cards 16x/4x. Basically the P45 is a better chipset, and with crossfired video cards blows away the P35.

If you wanted to save some money, you could go with the Asus P5Q Pro and 2x 4850's instead of the 780i mobo and the GTX280. You'll get very close performance to the GTX280 at like $300 less :) (Well atleast from where i can buy things the 780i mobo are more expensive then the P45's). Also intel chipsets OC better :).

Thats my 2 cents, the GTX280 is a better card, but for the 5-15fps that it gives ahead of the Crossfired 4850's the price tag is pretty high.

CanadaGUY

Whats the difference between the following?

P5Q

P5Q-E

P5Q Pro

P5Q Delux

They all seem to be the same to me. Can you tell me in which order they are in, starting with the lowest spec to the highest?

Cheers

Dontfollowme