LivingGhost

Help - New Pc

So comes that time again, when I consider building myself a new PC.

The two most important things to me are as follows:

1. It is as quiet as possible.

2. It will allow me to comfortably play Steam Engine games, Armed Assault (2), Guild Wars 2, DCS: Black Shark, and similar at my resolution of 1920*1200. (I'm also thinking of adding in a second monitor, and playing across two screens would be so cool, you know? Isn't that possible with CrossFireX?)

And as a secondary thing, I don't want it to output a lot of heat. To give you an idea of what I mean, my current PC can heat my room pretty well in winter, and it's summer now. I'm consider sticking it in the freaking closet.

Aside from gaming, all I use my PC for is work and hobby stuff (Firefox, Open Office, Photoshop, Adobe Lightroom, etc.) and I don't really multi-task. I don't really do anything that requires SMP/more than one core, outside of some music or video encoding every now and again (eg. rip a CD, encode to FLAC or rip a dvd, encode to x264 and downscale it for portable use).

As of right now, I'm thinking that I only "need" like 4 gigs of ram, but if anyone thinks doubling that would help at all, I'm welcome to the idea (lol e-penor).

I want this thing to last as long as this PC has, which is like 2.5 years. Granted, I did upgrade my video card about half way through.

I suppose I can use my current case, but that Lian-Li PC-V2110B is really appealing to the consumer inside of me. It just looks amazing. I know I don't need it, though. But man does it look sweet.

The following is probably major overkill for what I do, but again, I want this puppy to last.

POWERCOLOR AX3870X21GBD4PH Radeon HD 3870 X2 1GB 512-bit (256-bit x 2) GDDR4 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail - Would going with a second one (CrossFireX) help the performance/longevity of my system at all, or would it only increase my bragging rights?

ENERMAX MODU82+ EMD625AWT 625W ATX12V Ver.2.3 Power Supply 100 - 240 V UL, cUL, TUV, CCC, RoHS - Retail - My current PSU is probably fine, but this one is supposed to be quieter, and man, it hass more watts. Everyone knows you need redundant 2kW PSU's, am I right?

LANPARTY UT X48-T2R LGA 775 Intel X48 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail - Again, probably complete and utter overkill, but I like DFI, I like CrossFireX, and I have no idea what the good overclocking boards even are right now. I'm such a gullible consumer, getting pulled right into all that marketing and green goodness...

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Retail - I don't think I "need" a quad core, and I've heard these overclock extremely well.

Crucial Ballistix Tracer 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail - No real idea if these are any good. I just want the ability to be able to stick more in the future, in case I run into a situation where I need 8 gigs.

Am I missing anything? I suppose I can use my current heat sink. Although that Thermalright Ultra-120 looks utterly appetizing. And what about video cards? Aren't the new ATi and nvidia genertations coming out soon?

If I upgrade/build a new system, it would probably be around mid-July. My budget is around $1500 - $2000, but as always, the cheaper...the better.

Oh, I should also mention that I will be using Windows Server 2008 (and probably multi-boot with Debian and OS X, to mess around).

And with regards to hard drives, I may get another large one for extra in-PC backup. I'm not sure. I'm happy with my raptors, and software RAID0 has treated me well.

I thank each and every one of you that help me, to hopefully choose good parts, and to shake me out of my "ZOMG MUST BUY EVERYTHING SO SHINY" consumer mindset.

Edited by LivingGhost

at first, picking a GPU now isnt a wise choice. if you had to do it now, take a GTX280 ($600) or a GTX 260(dunno, around 400 juding from europian prices). both will be faster or nearly as fast as the 3800x2, but you can always run it in SLI for more performance (and 2x 24"screens or bigger will need it).

Going with sli means youll have to get a different mobo. either a 780i motherboard, for DDR2, or 790i for DDR3. both will increase the price like crazy.

However, next week the radeon 4xx0 series should arrive. this also will include the 4870x2, though it might be a bit later then the single core cards. id wait out for those. theyll be beaten by nvidia, surely. however, nvidia cards are very very expensive, and ATI will probebly be cheaper, and better in price vs performance. now, if you do get a 4870x2, the mobo you picked is an excellent choice. you can add a 2nd one for CF, and it overclocks very well.

all in all, wait 2 more weeks. then there are more options to choose from, more benchmarks to compare, and maybe even some stock and prices on newegg

Everything seems fine, but i'd suggest a Corsair PSU or PC P&C PSU, if crossfire is in your future then anything from them at 750W or above would be fine.

Like PC P&C 750W or

Corsair 750W

Also waiting on the GPU is probably the best bet, then something like a 4870 or 4850 might fit the bill. That board you linked is great, expensive but great :)

I'll just suggest this aswell Gigabyte DS4, you can check out there DQ6 aswell or even the newer P45 Model

I'm sure 625w is fine for two dual-core GPU's. Thank you for your suggestions, though.

How does P45 compare to X48?

Edited by LivingGhost

Initial reviews, looks like its on par with the X48's with just a lesser price tag. And yes 625W will probably be fine, but I'd err on the side of caution if your looking to grab Crossfire with the big guns like a 4870X2 (or 3870X2) or SLI with GTX 280 (or 9800GX2). Consumption tests of High-end GPU/System

Other then setup's like that, then 625W is more then enough for non-Crossfire/SLI. For reference this is what my computer uses, CanadaGUY's Computer

Anyone else? :(

I tried to register on XS to ask their opinion, but alas, they deleted my account as it apparently didn't meet their member requirements. Does anyone know how to get on there?

I'd go quad if you want it to last, they can be clocked to the 3Ghz of the E8400, with the added advantage of 2 more cores (but less cache unless you go Q9xxx)