Portal: First Slice

NCC10281982B

I've seen the Portal: first slice thing when downloading nvidia drivers twice now. I can't get the demo to install. I've clicked the desktop shortcut and everything. Its not listed in 'My Games.'

Is there a trick to it? What is the game like? Is it worth wrestling with steam to make it work?

I got it to work just fine for a few levels, then I got stonewalled as the game glitched. Think impenetrable turquoise wall in front of you.

I'm guessing they don't have all the glitches worked out just yet. FYI, it was about a week ago when I played it on the rig below:

Abit IP-35 Pro

Q6600 @ 3GHz

2x2GB G.Skill DDR2-800

Evga 7900GTO

Oh, and I assume it's just a demo for Portal, basically the levels I went through were just orientation and training missions. I have no idea though as I have never played the full version of Portal.

Edited by technodanvan

whats the point of first slice? Is it gonna be an add on that gos through the first game? Oh Portal is definitely an awesome game!

No, it's not an add-on. As has been stated, it's simply a demo of Portal....a few levels for people to get a taste of the game.

I'm with nVidia_Freak...just buy Orange Box. It was a steal at full price...now it's just insane.