Sign in to follow this  
souichi

Comp Won't Boot From Hd

hello all,

HD: 300 gig Seagate 7200 rpm

I was reformatting my computer and it doesn't boot from the HD after its finished. It goes through all the steps and to the part where it shuts down, restarts, but then starts loading again. I have gone through the cycle a few times and can't figure out why it won't boot from the HD. It stops at the "hit any key to continue" step. Thanks for your time.

hello all,

I was reformatting my computer and it doesn't boot from the HD after its finished. It goes through all the steps and to the part where it shuts down, restarts, but then starts loading again. I have gone through the cycle a few times and can't figure out why it won't boot from the HD. It stops at the "hit any key to continue" step. Thanks for your time.

Forgive me if I've gotten confused somewhere...but...

Doesn't reformatting remove everything from a harddrive? Including any operating system that's on it?

hello all,

If when you say to boot press any key you mean (to boot from CD press any key.)

DON'T hit any key. and let it boot from HD. It may take a few seconds. if you keep hitting any key it will start the install process over again.

I made a new partition and reinstalled windows xp pro with service pack 3

I know all the jumper settings are correct and the HD is about a year old, but for some reason windows does not load when the CD is inside

once it gets to the "hit any key to continue" page, I have waited 30+ minutes.

after I hit a key, the cycle begins again

thanks for the feedback

Well if your install is already complete, then why do you still have the windows CD in the drive? Remove the CD and give booting windows a spin...

I tried removing the cd from the cd drive, but then it just asks to insert a cd or boot from another device

My HD is detected on the top of the list

thanks for the feedback

Is the HD detected in the BIOS?

Change your boot order so the HD boots first.

Edited by werty316

silly question, but have you any flash drives plugged in? or floppy drive.. unplug all and do like <werty316> suggested.

I don't have any flash drives plugged in and have made it so that the HD is on the top of the list, still doesn't work for some reason

I had the same problem with a plextor DVD burner that was an old SATA revision. I had to buy an IDE drive to store just to install windows, because it wouldn't use that drive as a loader for the windows installer. If this is semi-familiar in your case, just get a cheap IDE CD Drive and use that just to install windows and your other main drivers (sata drivers in windows mainly). Hopefully that helps.