His 3850 Iceq3 Agp Problems :( Please Help!

Regardless the drivers I am using,even at stock speeds, when I play cod4 after a few mins the system crashes and I get the screen of cod4 static and full of artifacts.Could this be because I did not format after replacing my old nvidia gpu with the new 3850?I did use drivercleaner/sweeper every time I tested a new driver. Is the card malfunctioning?Or is there a way to fix this.Please help.The temps are not high,i've set the fan to work at 100% with rivatuner and the temps won't go higher than 60C under load.

My system is:

DFI LANPARTY NF2 ULTRA B (nforce2 chipset)

Athlon xp Mobile @ 2500mhz

2gigs supertalent ddr pc3500

OCZ 600W powerstream

HIS HD 3850 ICEQ3 TURBO AGP

My agp bus is locked at 66mhz, i played crysis extensively yesterday...i ended up completing the game by testing.It did the same crash but only once after around 2-3 hours of gameplay,then I relaunched it,played another 2 hours or so till I finished it without problems.AGP voltage is at 1.6.The drivers I am using at the moment are the catalyst 8.5 agp hotfix.I use those cause they are the only ones that haven't given me .dll BSOD's so far,and they also include the 1440x900 resolution,while for example the 8.6 beta give BSOD,the 8.5 normal don't have that resolution, neither do older ones like 8.4 or the ones included with the gpu

I disabled the ati hotkey poller to see if that's the thing causing problems.That's the last thing I can think of.Should I raise my AGP voltage or not? it can be 1.5,1.6(which is set at now),1.7, 1.8.I'm thinking that maybe the card is defective...maybe I should RMA it or not?

It can crash sometimes after 3 hours, but usually as soon as I load cod4 and start playing after a few mins bang, system crash screen full of broken graphics.I can leave the card in crysis working at 99% load (around 55C on gpu based on att) and it won't crash at all.does that make the card defective?or is there something wrong with my comp?Any info would be nice if I could solve this without RMAing

I managed to find some newer drivers for the chipset, beta ones not from nvidia,but people spoke highly of them.Nothing though,problem still persists, 5 mins of cod4 are enough to make my system crash. I really can't think of anything else.Only other thing i noticed,but i don't know if its relevant,is that on the back of the card,there is a chip near the AGP slot (not sure if that's the rialto bridge) that has a thermal pad on it,but no heatsink(and i didn't get any heatsink to apply to it from the box) that gets extremely hot, it burned my finger when i tried to feel it.Could this be the issue?It's driving me crazy,with my old 7800GS+ I never had any problems like this :(

Edited by angelok82

How old is the card?

It sounds like you have tried every reasonable effort to explore, analyse and resolve the problem I would seriously consider an RMA. Not sure about the chip on the back but Video Cards are going to get hot, I certainly wouldn't mod anything at this stage but instead send it back and let them sort it.

How old is the card?

It sounds like you have tried every reasonable effort to explore, analyse and resolve the problem I would seriously consider an RMA. Not sure about the chip on the back but Video Cards are going to get hot, I certainly wouldn't mod anything at this stage but instead send it back and let them sort it.

The card is like 1 week old.I will try one last thing.My PSU has only a 6 pin pci express power line,while the card has an 8 pin jack on it.Normally it should work with the 6 pin, but I read online that this will not allow overclocking the card etc.Maybe the card requires to recognize an 8 pin connector so I am waiting for an adaptor to get here to try that as well.If it doesn't work I will RMA it :(

But could it be my motherboard that isn't good enough or something?I know my motherboard is a bit old,but it was the best nforce2 motherboard money could buy and it works perfect with my other gpu

the chip is the bridge that converts native PCIe to AGP. also have you tried rivatuner because i dont know if its an PCIe thing or just ALL HD 3000 card but the fan won't spin up past default Idle speeds. this is a known issue, they may have fixed it by now but try manually setting the fan to 100% and playing some games.

the chip is the bridge that converts native PCIe to AGP. also have you tried rivatuner because i dont know if its an PCIe thing or just ALL HD 3000 card but the fan won't spin up past default Idle speeds. this is a known issue, they may have fixed it by now but try manually setting the fan to 100% and playing some games.

I already tried that,the fan is spinning indeed at 100% with rivatuner,the temps are very normal,rarely go over 60C under load.The shop I bought the card told me that it's 100% the fact that I wasn't using an 8 pin jack...so they mailed me for free the adapter.I really hope they are right cause the card gave a huge performance boost to my old rig,I can play everything.I completed Crysis at 1440x900 at medium high settings and 4xAA with an average of 20 fps in open spaces and 30-35 in closed while my old 7800GS+ won't go over 10 fps.

Edited by angelok82