No Post, No Beeps...

Well - I'm working on a neighbor's computer, and i was originally having trouble reinstalling windows. Kept bluescreening, etc. Tried multiple times with different copies of Windows XP, with no luck. The only thing that was left out from being tested was the motherboard. Everything else passed diagnostic tests, vigorous memory tests and hard drive tests.

I told her it was most likely a bad controller on the motherboard of some sort. She ordered a new motherboard, and I picked it up yesterday. It is a foxconn with the part number N15235. I can't find an exact number on it. It's a socket 775, ddr2, PCI-e, onboard video, etc. I put her processor in (Pentium D 2.8ghz or something) in a motherboard that I know supports at least 1066fsb. When I go to boot it - no post beeps, no display, not a thing. You know how when you turn on a computer, the fan runs at 100% for about 2-3 seconds and slows down to idle speed? Well, it stays at 100% speed. No display. No beeps with or without memory.

I have this thing set out on my living room table ontop of the anti-static bag it came in. I've reset the bios, pulled the battery out for 15-20 minutes, reseat the cpu several times, but still not a hint of life. Is this thing DoA? Is it possible that a 775 motherboard is NOT compatible with Pentium D?

Edit: Just tried a spare power supply. Still no go. The only other 775 processor in the house I could test on it is a C2Quad, which I highly doubt will run in a cheapo-mobo.

Edited by airman

It's probably not compatible with Pentium D. I've had a similar problem before.

drats. oh well. that's what i was thinking. either dead, or pentium D bullcrap. thanks :)