New Rig...

watsonte

I say you stick with the P45 motherboard instead, the P45 can be slightly faster then the X48, and sometimes just a tad slower, besides the P45 also have great crossfire support.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Don't think you should have much trouble with it, just check out the recommened power supply list in the power supply section.

Also 850W is huge unless your going for the big guns like SLI'd 9800GX2's or Crossfire'd 3870X2's (4870X2's).

I'd suggust something like PC P&C 750W or Corsair 750W, unless modular is your thing. Doubt there will be any major problems with that Antec, but these 2 other ones are cream of the crop and are cheaper :)

The fact that it that its a modular power supply was the main reason I started looking at it over the PC Power and Cooling and Corsair PSUs. As far as actual power, I know I will n ever need that much, but, whats it hurt to have a little extra just in case...

Who knows maybe I will go CF 4870X2's... :O

Edited by watsonte

I say you stick with the P45 motherboard instead, the P45 can be slightly faster then the X48, and sometimes just a tad slower, besides the P45 also have great crossfire support.

Yeah, I guess my main concern is the lack of full x16 support. Its seems that the P45 is limited to two X8 PCIE slots in CF, of course I dont know how much that will hurt performance. After looking at the review of the PQ5 I think I might be okay...

I dont know, either way I have time to wait, at least until ATI releases the 4800 series.

The P45's Crossfire is performing almost exactly like the X38/48 boards, I'd doubt there will be any big differences till the next time you upgrade mobo's :)

I'm thinking of selling my 8800GT / DS3R and grabing a 4850 + P45 board to go Crossfire with 4850's :)

The P45's Crossfire is performing almost exactly like the X38/48 boards, I'd doubt there will be any big differences till the next time you upgrade mobo's :)

I'm thinking of selling my 8800GT / DS3R and grabing a 4850 + P45 board to go Crossfire with 4850's :)

Yeah, most of the reviews seem to indicate that, and seeing how the Asus P5Q Pro P45 board is almost $80 cheaper than the DS4 it seems like a better buy.

some early benchmarks seem to indicate that a 4850 is pretty much on par with a 9800GTX. assuming the 4870 is faster it would beat the 9800X2 in crossfire, and probebly use less power as well. you will need some good ventilation though. the 4850

some early benchmarks seem to indicate that a 4850 is pretty much on par with a 9800GTX. assuming the 4870 is faster it would beat the 9800X2 in crossfire, and probebly use less power as well. you will need some good ventilation though. the 4850

Okay, Final Specs... So if there is anything that doesnt look right let me know, I will be buying everything as soon as the 4870s are released (Hoping thats Wednesday)

Motherboard - Gigabyte X48-DS4

Intel 8400

Memory - A-Data 2x2GB DDR2 G Series

HDD - Seagate 500GB; 32 MB cache

PSU - PC Power & Cooling 750W

2 x ATI 4850 or 4870 depending on Performance gain

Antec 300 Case

Pioneer SATA DVD/CD Drive

Any and all input is welcome, thanks.

Well hardware is coming in slowly, I ordered my 4870's before anything else to ensure that I would have them...

Picture102.jpg

Just out of curiosity is installing Crossfire any different from SLI? Meaning when installing for the first time, one card...install drivers, add second card, enable Crossfire?