Multiple Monitors (7) And Crossfire

Building a big Rig,

Current rig has 4 video card, 3xPCI driving a total of 7 monitors

How does Crossfire work when multiple monitors are attached,

Thinking 3870x2 + 3850 + 1xPCI card from the old rig to pick up the last screen. Might use 2 of the old PCI cards & 2 3850's

Lots of options....

When going into "game mode" which will obviously use just 1 monitor....

Does crossfire take control and make all the adjustments regarding all those other monitors for you on the fly, or in this case would you have to make changes before going gaming

Thanks

CPU_Cooker

Edited by CPU_Cooker

I've heard for SLI that if you have lets say 2 video cards in your system and you have multiple monitors you're supposed to have the 2 cards in your system and you don't enable SLI but you set up the multiple monitors. I heard that you can't have SLI while doing multiple monitors (that's why you don't enable SLI in the first place). Then when you want to play games I guess enable it and only use that 1 monitor.. it might be the same with Crossfire.

i would contact Asus and ask how this card behaves in CF. if it gives you all the connectors you can easily do 7 monitors.

I was also going to recommend one of the asus 4port cards as well, it is one of the more elegant methods of multi monitor setups.

You could probably set it up to disable multi monitors and run crossfire when you game on one monitor, then just enable multi monitors again after, but I do not think it can do it automatically on the fly yet. It may just turn off the other monitors but not run in crossfire when a game is started...not sure.

I was also going to recommend one of the asus 4port cards as well, it is one of the more elegant methods of multi monitor setups.

You could probably set it up to disable multi monitors and run crossfire when you game on one monitor, then just enable multi monitors again after, but I do not think it can do it automatically on the fly yet. It may just turn off the other monitors but not run in crossfire when a game is started...not sure.

Looks like will be going with one of the asus 4-port cards + a low end PCIe card, and use 1 PCI card from his old rig. It is difficult to justify 2 $400 cards when 4 of the ports go to secondary 12x10 monitors.

When I get it together I will update on how it all actually works

CPU_Cook

• 2 weeks later...
7, why not 8x 21" LCD monitors!

He already has all the monitors

Here is what happens, When you put the Asus 4-port card into Crossfire, only the main monitor is active. When you "uncross fire" the others come back on.

You have to make the change manually, but it is quick and easy.

It is a slick rig, but I will comment that the Asus Card, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814121247

ASUS EAH3870X2/G/3DHTI/1G Radeon HD 3870 X2 1GB 512-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card - Retail

Which is getting cheaper by the second, is notably LOUD,

The two fans seem to run at full power all the time.

Underneath the cover are a couple of large heat pipe coolers, and it generates considerable heat.

NOTE: I was able to fix the fan problem with a bios upgrade from the Asus site

CPU_Cooker

Edited by CPU_Cooker