Agp Card Just Died... Replacement Ideas?

Well, my girlfriend and I were doing some gaming, her on my Thinkpad and myself on my aging desktop(Sig) -- Anyways, the graphics card(6600GT) started artifacting terribly so I pulled up speedfan and saw that the temperatures were nearing 100C -- The computer had hardlocked earlier in the day but it was when her younger sister was on it and I figured she had done something wrong.. seems likely the card was the culprit ><

Anyways, I took the side off my case to find out what was causing such high temperatures.. turns out the fan died on it >< -- I went to go take the fan off and when I did, I managed to snap the bracket that holds the fan inplace!(I was in a bad mood ><)

So, I am down to 3 options!

1) Buying a whole new system and just harvest a few old parts(soundcard/harddrives) -- Problem with this is I am currently poor(My girlfriend and I are celebrating our one year anniversary together this Saturday and Ive gone to great lengths to make it nice... sooo Im pennyless now)

2) Buying a new VGA cooler -- My problem with this is I am not so sure I want to spend the money on such old hardway anyways...

3) Buy another AGP card to replace it -- Problem with this last one is, yet again, Im pretty broke(I could sling a bit of money if this turns to be the best option..) Also, I need to make sure my current PSU can push the new card(Crappy Thermaltake 420Watt.. not sure the Amperage on 12v.. but, its probably like 18A ><)

So, I am taking suggestions on what you OCC members would do in this situation! - Not having the computer is not an option as it is both my file/backup server as well as suites backup gaming needs for friends/family/etc

Which brings me to my questions! - What would you all suggest doing? Is buying a VGA cooler to replace the old stock one worth it? Any recommendations on cheap ones(links would be awesome!)? If I decided to buy a new card, any low power requirement cards you would recommend?

Thanks a ton!

There's also the fourth option. Pull the shroud off of the video hard heatsink and position a regular PC(80, 120 or whatever you have lying around that pushes tons of air) fan to blow air onto it. Not the most elegant solution I'll agree but it gets the job done. Plus it'll cost all of $10 at most and it'll hold you over until you can get some more cash.

If you're not comfortable with that, I'd suggest number 1. Unless you're into old-school gaming, your rig doesn't have much life left in it but upgrading will be a problem for you, for reasons you already stated. But on the bright side you can sell the parts you won't be keeping here at OCC or ebay or something to absorb part of the cost of upgrading. Probably won't get much but anything is better than nothing, right?

i say go for number 2. you can buy a duoorb for like 45 bucks more or less. the good thing is, If you ever plan to upgrade the card, you could still use the same heatsink since its supposed to be universal. there are also many other choices, I just think the duoorb looks cool. :P

Ordinarily I would think option 2 for now would be a reasonable bet. As Qwerty says, if you buy a good VGA Cooler from one of the known manufacturers, you can then possibly use it in your next rig. I am just at the point of upgrading mine and will use my ZEROtherm GX820 on a new 9600GT.

However, I think the 6600 may not be as compatible, you'll have to check the websites for coolers? I don't know if it's the same in the US, but a lot of parts from an AGP based system sell for a not unreasonable amount on eBay, so harvest what you can and sell the rest? Finding a way to attach an ordinary fan to the card may however be the best short term solution if you are really short of cash - of course, you could look to ebay as well?

I don't think buying a new AGP is really worth it, unless you intend keeping your system for some time?

Newegg AGP cards: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....amp;Order=PRICE

We bought a 6200fx for my daughter the card came with a heatsink but no fan so it took a fan off a old amd cpu heat sink that I had lying around got a couple screws

and plugged it in, now it runs cool and her games don't lock up. :rolleyes: