Gigabyte Ga-ep35-ds4 Question

Looking into getting this board for a build for a friend of mine.

GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS4

The question I have is regarding the memory. The specs say: Memory Standard DDR2 1200 (O.C.)/1066

What does that actually mean? Would I have to use 1200, or would it require the 1066 memory to be overclocked to work properly?

depending on the CPU's FSB, it could run pretty much any DDR2 667/800/1066/1200. DDR2-800 will give you a max (without OC the ram) FSB of 400mhz if run on a 1:1 Divider. Obviously they like and dislike different brands of ram, kinda hit or miss really, unless it's listed on the memory support page.

With the Q6600 I have and the Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4 Rev 2, I used 4gb of Patriot Extreme 800. I didn't see it on the Gigabyte page, but I did see many references to people using it successfully with that board when using Google and the Newegg reviews section. It's worked very well for me. I'm considering getting a Q9300 for my machine and also upping the memory to 4gb of the 1066.

I did manage to snag up a Q9300 off evilbay for $230 for Jasons rig, so I figured I'd give it something good to work with and make good use of the power without going overkill. He's already decided he's sticking with XP for now, so I'll be getting him 2gb of OCZ Platinum 1066. I really considered the 1200 memory, but They have some nice prices on the 1066 right now on Newegg. I may even go 4gb just to futureproof it for Vista, even though the XP will only use 3.25gb of it.

Edited by Rokkaholik