Kb Finally Has

Not to rain down on your parade here... but the valve clearances and timings are supposed to be routine maintenance, about every 3000 to 4000 miles. I'd hate to think what sort of shape the engine/drive is in if no one has even bothered doing small, easy stuff like that when it's that old :unsure:

Seafoam and a good carb cleaning should help out with that. Some of it might have also had to do with the baffles being removed.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seafoam and a good carb cleaning should help out with that. Some of it might have also had to do with the baffles being removed.

Crankcase additives / fuel additives can't reverse the wear and damage associated with lack of preventative maintenance. Hope your previous owner didn't abuse the motorcycle too much.

Well, to say the least, you'll probably figure out how much work the motorcycle needs. Hope you're good with your hands. I love working on my car. :thumbs-up: Next stop...fuel lines and glow plugs. :)

Sounds like you're covered with the protective gear. Hope you can find a good riding course in your area. :ph34r:

I'll be using Seafoam more to help clean the carbs and the valves than anything else. Nothing but oil and Seafoam ever touches my engines, especially when a wet clutch is involved. For engine wear and tear... well that's just a part of life. It runs just fine right now, so things shouldn't be too bad.

What kind of car do you have? Havn't heard of many diesels still going around sadly.

I've got a 1982 Mercedes Benz 240D. Your motorcycle probably has the same amount of horsepower as my car. LOL.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3045178

I'm probably gonna get new tinting on the car this summer. I had to take the factory tint off because it was too dark and I need a passenger side mirror before I can legally tint the back window (in both MD and MA).

It's interesting driving an older car. I absolutely love the *thunk* the doors make when you close 'em. There are some things I have to do as maintenance, but they aren't too bad. Mainly replacing 26 year old rubber parts.

Diesel is fun. Too bad it's getting more and more expensive. I've tried some biodiesel and liked how that turned out (first time I spent $5 a gallon on fuel...).

I've got a 1982 Mercedes Benz 240D.

Diesel is fun. Too bad it's getting more and more expensive. I've tried some biodiesel and liked how that turned out (first time I spent $5 a gallon on fuel...).

:wub:

I used to have a 1996 ZX 1.9TD, which had the PSA XUD9 TE/Y - a friggin awesome engine!

Find the service manual.....

I learned how to build/rebuild them after I was already into racing... was at a race in Phoenix and blew the engine.(long story, but the damage had been done by expanding water during winter storage!)... when I got home, I figured....well I can't break it any more...

so I picked up the service manual and dug in....

there really are pretty easy to work on

and fun

Exeter, you're preaching to the choir :P. The only thing keeping me from buying a bike earlier was because I spent all my money on gear (helmet, jacket, gloves, boots, need to buy some overpants yet). I've seen Ride2Die.com many times to remind myself of why I wear my gear, and my mother worked in the ER. The latter should speak enough by itself :P.

Though I shall have to say you're foolish for not wearing a full face :P. Most of the damage from a fall is in the lower front section.

For my gear, I have a $110 EXL MJ112 riding jacket, Shift Fuel shoes, Shift Stealth gloves (split grain leather and reinforcement on essential areas, mesh on the wrists and inbetween fingers for breathing), and a Z1R Blade in Alloy Green. The jacket has bright silver lining, and the helmet is a bright lime green with silver. Also, I plan on buying retro-reflective tape for the back of my helmet. My jacket has a reflective EXL logo on the back. I need to find a dealership to try on overpants at, the only good one near me doesn't keep them in stock.

Right now I'm going to be spending some money on a new rear tire. Looking at a Michelin Pilot for the durability, as I won't be taking my baby to the track anytime soon. Then after some riding, I'll be buying a gel seat. Though that means going a couple days without riding, not sure if I can manage that.

Does the jacket have CE approved armor inserts? A lot of companies just throw some foam padding or something that looks cool but will do little to nothing if you fall.

I know shift is quality stuff - I have one of their textile jackets and it is great but a bit warm for the summer down here. I looked at the shift fuel shoes as well but figured I would get the extra protection of Sidi Doha's. Quite a bit more coin for Sidi's but the fuels and dohas are like the only two riding footwear that dont look like silly power ranger gear. Under long pants they look like normal shoes.

Grats again for the bike as well :)

The jacket has CE approved back, shoulder, and elbow armor. The shoes are great, and double just fine as normal shoes. They don't have CE approved armor, but there's a bit of extra padding and plastic along the ankles.

Exeter, I plan on it :P. I've already done that with my little 250, they're invaluable. Now, for a question: Should I just use some Rotella diesel oil for my motorcycle, or invest in the $9 a quart Castrol 20w50? Devil, I bought it more for the joy of riding than for gas, but 50 MPG is going to be very nice :D.