Kb Finally Has

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

$800 cash. Brother is picking it up today for me untill we can get down to where it is. The guy who's selling it do a lot of wrenching already (timing and valve clearance, it was running like . due to the baffles being out and lack of maintenence). When I get it, I'll be dropping the old oil and filter and getting top quality stuff. It also needs a new rear tire and some mirrors, though he may include some mirrors he just bought with it. Hopefully I'll have it sometime next week.

Unfortunately I won't be able to take the MSF course due to financial reasons (40 mile drive to the nearest place and $115 for the course), though I do have Motorcycling Excellence 2nd Edition.

Congrats......

OK... Old man soap box time...

Where a helmet, Long pants and a leather jacket... I don't care if it is 90f outside,,,, there are 2 types of riders..those who have fallen and those who will...

luckily all my falls were on race tracks with full leathers....

imagine a doctor pulling little tiny rocks out of your skin for weeks ;)

RESPECT the bike.....

really...they can bite.. I love bikes, but they DEMAND respect...

when you are on the road

YOU ARE INVISIBLE!!!

even if the mom in the minivan looks right freakin at you... she didn't see you... NOONE ever does... remember that one... trust me!!!

Join the AMA....

Take a safe riders course....

and remember YOU are a representative of ALL motorcyclists when you are on the road....

if you are out doing something stupid.... just remember that the idiot in the car that you just sped around could be a lawyer/representative/congress person/or just some dude with power... and before you know it there are more anti-motorcycle laws.....

just be smart

Ok that is enough!!

Enjoy!!

(me at turn 2 of Laguna Seca during an AMA pro race)

Laguna.jpg

Congrats......

OK... Old man soap box time...

Where a helmet, Long pants and a leather jacket... I don't care if it is 90f outside,,,, there are 2 types of riders..those who have fallen and those who will...

luckily all my falls were on race tracks with full leathers....

imagine a doctor pulling little tiny rocks out of your skin for weeks ;)

RESPECT the bike.....

really...they can bite.. I love bikes, but they DEMAND respect...

when you are on the road

YOU ARE INVISIBLE!!!

even if the mom in the minivan looks right freakin at you... she didn't see you... NOONE ever does... remember that one... trust me!!!

Join the AMA....

Take a safe riders course....

and remember YOU are a representative of ALL motorcyclists when you are on the road....

if you are out doing something stupid.... just remember that the idiot in the car that you just sped around could be a lawyer/representative/congress person/or just some dude with power... and before you know it there are more anti-motorcycle laws.....

just be smart

Ok that is enough!!

Enjoy!!

(me at turn 2 of Laguna Seca during an AMA pro race)

Laguna.jpg

Exeter you never told me you drag knee!! :lol: What year yammy is that? WERA is really popular around here but I just dont have the time in my schedules to participate...

KB, I live in florida and know how much of a pain it is to ride in the heat. I recently got a new jacket and it is AMAZING in the 90+ weather we have this time of year. Not as much protection as leathers, but a million times more comfortable. It is called the Joe Rocket Phoenix line and the 4.0 series are being clearanced out on most sites for $100 bucks or less to make room for the 5.0's - which are basically the same but with different designs! For $100 bucks it is much more comfortable and cool then my 250+ dollar Shift jacket. Still has CE approved armor in the elbows, shoulders, and a back pad but is held together with a special woven mesh that breathes very well instead of the solid textile of most street jackets. Honestly is no hotter then just a tee shirt. Won't give you the protection of a real leather jacket, but may be a valid option if you will just be putting around town. Not to mention you can get it for a fifth of the price...

Always wear your gear even if you are just going 5 minutes away!! I have seen friends go down at only 20mph and end up with horrible road rash on their legs and hands bad enough to need of skin grafting and the doctor has to go in picking debris out of ya with tweezers and no anesthetic! OUCH!

Ride safe!! That bike is pretty gutless up top but the low end will surprise you easily! Honestly a bit much for a beginner but with a good head on your shoulders you'll be fine :).

Exeter, you're preaching to the choir :P. The only thing keeping me from buying a bike earlier was because I spent all my money on gear (helmet, jacket, gloves, boots, need to buy some overpants yet). I've seen Ride2Die.com many times to remind myself of why I wear my gear, and my mother worked in the ER. The latter should speak enough by itself :P.

Though I shall have to say you're foolish for not wearing a full face :P. Most of the damage from a fall is in the lower front section.

For my gear, I have a $110 EXL MJ112 riding jacket, Shift Fuel shoes, Shift Stealth gloves (split grain leather and reinforcement on essential areas, mesh on the wrists and inbetween fingers for breathing), and a Z1R Blade in Alloy Green. The jacket has bright silver lining, and the helmet is a bright lime green with silver. Also, I plan on buying retro-reflective tape for the back of my helmet. My jacket has a reflective EXL logo on the back. I need to find a dealership to try on overpants at, the only good one near me doesn't keep them in stock.

Right now I'm going to be spending some money on a new rear tire. Looking at a Michelin Pilot for the durability, as I won't be taking my baby to the track anytime soon. Then after some riding, I'll be buying a gel seat. Though that means going a couple days without riding, not sure if I can manage that.

+1 on decent quality gear... It's saved me from quite substantial injury :rolleyes:

Also, your main risk is pedestrians + cyclists ;) In my only other accident apart from the aforementioned (were I came off and hit a tree - jacket armour is important!) was a cyclist rode into the side of me as I was turning a corner. They won't look for you or see you, so make sure you look out for them, especially on corners!

$800 cash. Brother is picking it up today for me untill we can get down to where it is. The guy who's selling it do a lot of wrenching already (timing and valve clearance, it was running like . due to the baffles being out and lack of maintenence).

Not to rain down on your parade here... but the valve clearances and timings are supposed to be routine maintenance, about every 3000 to 4000 miles. I'd hate to think what sort of shape the engine/drive is in if no one has even bothered doing small, easy stuff like that when it's that old :unsure:

Yup, when you're driving a motorcycle assume everyone else on the road is out to get you. Drive defensively or don't drive at all. I haven't driven a bike since '88 when I sold my '83 Honda Nighthawk 650.