Need Some Suggestions

GaiusMaxwell

Ok, here is my situation at the moment

The system i have is:

Core2 Q6600 (stock speed)

N680i SLI mobo

4gig DDR2 1066Mhz (generic brand so timings are a little slow)

Gigabyte Nvidia 8600GT 512mb

750g samsung HD

Thermaltake soprano case modded with blowhole and extra fans

Thermaltake 430W XP550 NP PSU

I am fairly happy with this sytem, however, i like a healthy 60-70 FPS in games i like to play, and even in WoW with all settings on high (including ground clutter) i drop down to 50ish, i also like to play games at high settings, so having play AoC at mid range settings is a disappointment

So, i have come up with a $600 budget for some upgrades, I am happy with my mobo, processor, HD and i feel alright with the RAM, what i really want is a new graphics card (i was thinking along the lines of an 8800GTS 512mb or a 9800GX2) and a liquid cooling system because i would like to overclock the 6600 to the max but only have stock cooling and can barely make it over 2.7Ghz without a blue screen.

My main questions are:

What graphics card do you recommend (maybe even an SLI option)?

Do you think my RAM needs an upgrade? (to maybe a corsair or Gskill)?

What liquid cooling do you recommend?

Will my 430w hold up the added power of the water cooling and a new graphics card?

Is there anything else i should upgrade?

Keep in mind i am an aussie so prices differ by about 8 cents to the dollar and i do not intend to buy anything online - i have a supplier and a "computer fair" with all kinds of parts at wholesale prices comes to my town twice a month

Thankyou,

Love

First, seeing as you want to keep the mobo/cpu/hd, the first and easiest upgrade would be a new video card. That 8600GT is pretty slow.

I'd suggest a 8800GTS 512mb (G92), it alone could probably make up for what your lacking. As your computer actually seems pretty decent, and since you have an sli board you could always tag another GTS on aswell. One thing though is that ATI is going to be releasing some new cards very soon, so you might want to wait out till that happens to see if there is any real big improvements.

Secondly, that PSU will probably handle a single card upgrade, but won't be enough for SLI'. Also I'd probably try to grab something from Corsair or PC P&C if you do upgrade the PSU.

For reference, my 8800GT has WoW running max settings around 70-110fps, with some drops to 50-60 when there is a huge number of people on screen.

Thanks for the help all, im thinking I will probably pick up an 8800 gts 512mb

As for the water cooling, I have searched and come up with nowhere to purchase custom kits anywhere near me, I have seen kits from my supplier and at the fair from thermaltake and other companies but do not know what im looking for when it comes to water cooling, are there any recommended kits I should buy?

Thanks again,

Love

Would have to agree that the Video Card is your bottleneck. Start with replacing that and see how things go. Personally I think a 9600GT will beat a 8800GTS and for a comparable price.....in fact I am sure it will.....possibly consider one of those. But a 8800GTX Vs. a 9600GT that would be a different story.

Edited by Boldeagle

Would have to agree that the Video Card is your bottleneck. Start with replacing that and see how things go. Personally I think a 9600GT will beat a 8800GTS and for a comparable price.....in fact I am sure it will.....possibly consider one of those. But a 8800GTX Vs. a 9600GT that would be a different story.

The old GTS yes. The 8800GTS G92 will beat a 9600GT no problem.

Excellent point make sure that any 8800GTS has the G92 core....had to google it and yep tons of info out there but seems it wont 3 x SLI (not that Im getting that). So there is the 8800GTS with G80 core and the 8800GTS with the G92 core, just to keep us on our toes!! Keep this in mind when looking for a card!

Edited by Boldeagle

Even 3x 9800GTX, isn't much more of an upgrade over the 8800GTS (G92) SLI. Atleast for the cash your spending.

Wow I conceded that maybe the 8800gts with a "G92" core will beat a "single" 9600GT but seriously 3x98000gtx you must have miss typed.

Edited by Boldeagle