Need Help Deciding On A Mobo And Ram For My E8400

I have read a little around the forums and so far I have decided that I am going to get a e8400 at least. I already have a water cooling system set up so I am hoping maybe either a 5.0ghz OC or something close to it.

The only other thing I am not sure about is the mobo...

The things I need from the board is for it to support PCI-E 2.0 I know its not much use now but I want this to last awhile and who knows what might happen int he future. If it has firewire and e-sata, great if not than oh well.

Also I am not sure if I want a single card or to do a SLI/CF combo yet, but I just want the board that will OC the best so basically what ever the best OCing board has I will work with as far as video card combos.

So far I am trying to choose between these two.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813136038 -DFI Blood Iron

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813128086 - GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3R

Also another board that I am not really sure about it because of the price.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813136046 - DFI LP LT X48-T2R

Basically does that last board just blow the crap out of the other two ones? What exactly makes that board justifiable for the price?

Now on to the RAM I bought some kingston ram from Best Buy, one 2gb stick and one 1 gb they are both at 667mhz stock, I know most other ram online is running near 800mhz stock. I realize that ram is VERY important in OCing but if I were to keep the ram I have now would that hurt me a lot?

Sorry about all of the questions, but I have researched a lot and there is just a lot to muddle through, but I feel that I am getting a little closer.. :unsure:

DDR2-667 will probably limit your fsb by quite alot, ie. you can only run your fsb up to 333 without OC'ing your memory as well. I'm not sure what the multiplier is on the E8400 (I'm guessing like 9x), but if it is 9x then that will limit you to around 3ghz (333x9). Which I believe is its stock value, so for a 5ghz OC (which I don't think i've ever seen a E8400 get too, without like phase-change cooling) you'll need 5000/9 = 556mhz FSB(or some other combo with the lower multi's). And at 556mhz FSB your ram is running at 1112 (with 1:1 divider)

It would probably be a good idea to grab atleast some nice DDR2-1066, which will not only give you room at their stock values but some OC headroom on the memory itself. I'm betting that kingston value ram doesn't have much headroom :).

Anyways back to the boards...

All of them are nice boards, and will give quite good OC's. The DFI's are going to give you the most "tweak" value, but people new to OC'ing might get alittle overwhelmed with a DFI board to start out with. If your not going to crossfire in the future, then the Gigabyte or the Bloodiron would be fine (Not sure if they have PCI 2.0 though), i've got the non "E" version of the gigabyte EP35-DS3R, and it's a great board. The E just adds on their newer energy savings technology. As for why that last board is so expensive, I'm pretty sure it's because its on the lastest chipset from Intel (X48), has room for 3 video cards and is DFI's top line of boards. It's worth it if your going to be needing all of the stuff it offers, otherwise stick with the one of the other ones.

Oh and not to disappoint you, but 5ghz is quite a high goal, so don't expect to get there right off the bat or at all, the chip might just not want to go that high.

24/7 speed with an E8400 on water is going to be somewhere in the neighborhood of 4000MHz-4200MHz. That's assuming one ends up with a decent CPU, which lately has been hit n' miss. As already mentioned, 1066MHz memory will fit nicely with this speed.

Hmm well i guess ill pick up some more memory but since i can only get maybe 4.2 ghz stable maybe a q6600 might be a better goal since its a quad core? What are reliable oc goals on that proc? Also i am thinking towards the gigabyte board since i am pretty new to ocing. Any more comments would be apperiatied. Thanks in advance

Edited by Authrom

Can you be mroe specific with what "water cooling" you have? Temps ramp up quickly with clockspeeds, and your run-of-the-mill water kit may have a hard time keeping load temps down on a high clocked wolfdale once the loop is saturated.

Many times temps stop your overclock well before the chip, board, or ram has reached their limitations with those chips.

Can you be mroe specific with what "water cooling" you have? Temps ramp up quickly with clockspeeds, and your run-of-the-mill water kit may have a hard time keeping load temps down on a high clocked wolfdale once the loop is saturated.

Many times temps stop your overclock well before the chip, board, or ram has reached their limitations with those chips.

I dont know for sure as i didnt build the kit myself i know it was something custom built not a run of a mill kit. But either way i can get the cooling if it will help me reach my goals as long as it isnt something crazy like phase cooling.

Alright I'll get the gigabyte board and the e8400, since it seems I am going to have to change the RAM out can anyone suggest some good ram I should look for?

I know that the timings matter but I am not exactly sure what each number does for the over all system. Is there specific numbers I should be aiming for or will just something below x-x-x-x work for what I need?

I was thinking about this one here

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820231144

Also I want to have max 3 due to the fact that I really dont want to mess with a 64 bit operating system. So in the end would it be better to buy something like above and add in another 1gb stick at the same speed. Or should I buy a 2x2gb combo and just let it detect the 3gb of memory?

Ya those will do pretty good, also on the topic of not wanting to mess with a 64-bit OS. All I have is one question... Why not? I've had Vista 64-bit for about 2-3 months and really haven't had much trouble with it. Only problems were a wireless card not having driver support, but hell D-link doesn't even give updates for this cards XP drivers.

With that being said, if you already have XP go with it, but 4gb is fast, really fast. I love being able to instant alt-tab out of full screen games, then back into them :) *though I assume that 2gb on XP will probably be pretty close to 4gb on vista :)

Ya those will do pretty good, also on the topic of not wanting to mess with a 64-bit OS. All I have is one question... Why not? I've had Vista 64-bit for about 2-3 months and really haven't had much trouble with it. Only problems were a wireless card not having driver support, but hell D-link doesn't even give updates for this cards XP drivers.

With that being said, if you already have XP go with it, but 4gb is fast, really fast. I love being able to instant alt-tab out of full screen games, then back into them :) *though I assume that 2gb on XP will probably be pretty close to 4gb on vista :)

Well I really dont want to change over to Vista right now I would rather use XP right now so I guess the better question is would you know if 64 bit XP is a good OS? If so I would consider it, but I really dont want to jump the bandwagon with Vista. I was not impressed with SP1 from Vista personally and I would rather stay away from it.