I Have A Headache...

Andrewr05

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always wanted to build my own rack system, I think when the budget allows for any of this thats what I'm gonna do.

I'm either going to modify my current computer desk (if you can even call it that) or build a new one and incorporate the rack into either.

Actually now that I think of it if I'm ambitious enough I could build a VESA monitor mount right into the new rack system/desk...

Then again maybe I ought to wait till I have more money to do such a project.

Also having the where I might want my feet (i.e. the under part of the desk) may not be a good idea...

Screw it I'll keep it simple; "K.I.S.S." always applies...

I just need to build a damn computer I don't need to be adding all this complexity to the sproject that I already should hav had done....

JUST BUILD A DAMN COMPUTER!

If I want to build a rack system (which I do) sometime in the future I can...

So anyways...

I'm probably just gonna get a mATX or ATX case and lay it on its side (assuming I don't get a desktop/HTPC case)

Mobo:

Recommend one under $50

(Skt 775)

Memory:

pqi TURBO 2GB (2 x 1GB) $28.99

Case and Power Supply:

Newegg combo

Antec Three Hundred

Antec NeoPower 550 Combo deal $85

Harddrive:

Western Digital Caviar SE 160GB $41.99

Monitor:

Acer X203Wbd Black 20" $129.99

Processor:

I have one or two here that I can use until I buy a C2D...

TOTAL ~$393.67 Inc. shipping

:)

Possible mobos:

Gigabyte GA-P31-ES3G - 65$

Gigabyte GA-P31-S3G Open Box - 45$

Gigabyte GA-EP31-DS3L Open Box - 48$

MSI P31 Neo-F - 55$ after 10$ MIR

To be perfectly honest, you shouldn't skimp on the mainboard. Any of these will be good for a budget build, but I wouldn't dare go deeper in terms of price. You only got Zotac, ECS, PC Chips and Jetway down in the budget basement group :ph34r:

Wha do you guys think about getting an openbox Asus P5K SE?

Also ECS NF650iSLIT-A opinions?

MSI P31 Neo-F?

GIGABYTE GA-P31-ES3G

(I know you recommended those last two King)

You guys will look at these from an enthusiast standpoint (and say "don't get that,it doesn't OC well) and I'm looking at with a "I just need a damn board" POV, so don't forget I will overclock a little bit but it is no my main priority...

Oh yeah and BLACKFRIDAY!!, hopefully I can find some good deals...

Personally, I wouldn't go open box. I recently bought an open box Asus board and it was bad...freeze, freeze, and more freezes. Trying to save a few bucks can often lead to spending more after the problems set in.

I'm actually having the same sort of problem right now with a hard drive that wasn't in a sealed box...I don't know where it came from or what it's been through because of it. No more open boxed pc components for me. Ended up getting a better mobo than the open boxed one actually, and for a few dollars cheaper. Shopping around usually leads to the best deals, and they are out there.

Hope you get your build together soon, it can be so darn stressful!

Edited by Maj0r Gamer

Personally, I wouldn't go open box.
I normally wouldn't either.

In fact the last hardrive I bought (160GB Samsung) was openbox and it died in 2 months...

Trying to save a few bucks can often lead to spending more after the problems set in.
AGREED

Sometimes its good to wait longer to buy a better product then to splurge on "el cheapo" things especially in the computer world...