Andrewr05

I Have A Headache...

Bad news...

:(

The processor in my fathers old computer was only a Pentium 4...

But I'm still gonna use it and his memory until I buy a new C2D and better memory.

It is still like a 200% performance increase over this laptop and about a 500% increase over my socket A rig...

:lol:

Oh well, looks like I have to buy a monitor as well because he took his old one to work for his office computer.

meh...

I'm almost there...

The surge came in though the Ethernet cable from the modem so I'm willing to bet that the motherboard is indeed fried.

I just hope I can get some parts from it that are still good...

2GB (1GB x 2; unknown speed) memory

250GB harddrive

CPU I believe it may be an e7200 however I'm not sure.

(my father said it was 2.53Ghz and it said "duo" in dells lackluster receipt description)

You should claim it on your homeowners insurance. That's what its there for. And buy a UPS with it while you are at it.

You should claim it on your homeowners insurance. That's what its there for. And buy a UPS with it while you are at it.
I don't live with my father, this was his computer...

He did...

He had a surge protector with phone lines on it that the computer was plugged into...

He didn't use the phone line portion...

He does now...

Edited by Andrewr05

I know this is a gazillion years old again, but have you gotten the build finished now? :) Or did you at least order some stuff? :P

I haven't done a darn thing...

:(

I feel like a prick because the video card is just sitting there collecting dust ya know?

I mean is not even that I don't have the money its just that I haven't even had much time to myself recently.

I haven't been on the forums nearly as much as I used to be and I'm rarely even on the IRC channel...

I want to get a new PC but the way I see it is until I have the time to make use of a new system I can probably make do with my current system. (laptop)

Plus there are probably things I can use more than a new computer ya know?

I mean last week as an example I bought 6 new pairs of Carhartt work pants (3 for me and 3 for my step- nephew) for my job, there goes $165...

But I needed em' and I would've wasted (per se) the money on the computer I didn't really need.

anyways...

Yeah...

It'll happen before January I'm pretty sure, but as for now I haven't done a darn thing...

I hear ya, work before play! Although it sucks a bit, look at the bright side: The system you're planning to build now will be much cheaper in January :lol: No, jokes aside, I just wanted to know if something happened as I was gone for most of this thread and found it randomly today and though "wow, Andrew? He's got a new rig? No way, he'd be sitting in front of that screen drooling about the loading times for hours, just restarting his computer over and over again!" :lol:

:D

LMAO yeah, think about it though I can build the cheapest rig from newegg and it will probably be 10x better than my laptop let alone my Athlon rig...

:lol:

I know what you mean, I remember having a motherboard, processor, video card. and memory sitting on the floor for months before I finally got around to buying the other parts needed to put together my current rig. You just have to force yourself to do it and then you'll find yourself using it more often.

Hrm, I went with this board and after a pencil mod I am no longer disappointed: ASUS P5K SE/EPU.

As for a processor and memory here's my picks:

PQI Turbo 2GB (2X1GB) DDR2 800 (Used on a friend's upgrade we oc'ed it to 1066 easy)

Intel E5200 Wolfdale 2.53GHz (also in the same friend's upgrade, but we haven't oc'ed it yet)

That's all I wanted to suggest besides that I personally like the Cooler Master Cent5 case and I trust Corsair PSU's.

Good luck with the build man! B:)

Edit: Here's a sample build for you to see what you can get for under $500. I even put in a monitor: http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWi...Number=13252667

Edited by ocmooz

Here's a sample build for you to see what you can get for under $500. I even put in a monitor: http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWi...Number=13252667
That turned out pretty darn good for sub $500...

Well thats minus shipping but its still good...

I updated a new wishlist on Newegg and I'll post it up later...

I just had an epiphany!

I'm can save space by buying a Desktop style case (put the monitor on top of it) and get an ATX board at the same time and forgo the matx...

Yea, I'm a genius...

:P

Edited by Andrewr05

word

are you planning on using that computer inside of a closet or what? :P

Edited by damian