I Have A Headache...

Andrewr05

I'm so lost...

:(

Even with being here on OCC I still don't have the knowledge to know whats good for components.

I've noticed that P35 boards are "the thing" as it seems like most of you have Intel chips...

I'm just confused and not about anything in particular...

(HEY! imagine yourself in my shoes, a damn single core P4 from 4 years ago would rip my computer a new one)

Some of you may protest but right now I think I'm just gonna buy low to mid grade components but still something that can be upgraded down the road. (I may change my mind later and just save up quite a bit more money)

So the question is what is the absolute best bang for the buck setup right now?

Minus a video card obviously...

I don't care about SLi for now, so single x16 slot boards are fine.

As for memory I don't care because anything will be exponentially faster than PC133, we'll keep it at 2GB.

Dual core is fine although that doesn't leave out the possibility of quad within the next 20 years :P

I'd prefer something with built in audio for now as I can expand later. (its just one less thing I have to buy first off)

and more importantly overclocking...

I'm ashamed to say this but I have not really ever heavily overclocked anything, even when I used to OC my athlon back in the day I never pushed it all that hard.

So essentially I'd like a board that overclocks fairly nice (n00b friendly) but I don't want 173,295 options that will just give me an anuerism...

What do you all think?

As for budget I really couldn't tell you...

erm...

$500

Even that is stretching it, that doesn't include a fully functioning monitor either.

My older one is dsub and is a piece of junk, I'll just use the adapter and use the older one until I decide to get a new one.

:(

yea yea I know you guys are sitting there wondering why in the hell I would cheap out and throw a nice video card in an el cheapo rig...

I'd like to get something up and running withing a month or so of getting that video card and I DO NOT have the money to just throw at an Uber PC, well I don't even really have the money to do this but I can make it work...

I desperately need a new computer anyways...

Also what are you thoughts on a matx board?

Would it just be a waste?

Edited by Andrewr05

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dfi bloodiron or lan party and a e8400!!!

bloodiron

lanparty

e8400

That leaves you with 200 for ram and other things.

Yea I've been looking at those DFI boards lately, they seem pretty good for the price.

However I'd probably get a lower CPU for now even if that thing is a beast, I kind of want to go as cheap as possible under $500...

Edited by Andrewr05

E8200 instead?

Also, the Blood Iron is quite an enthusiast board ... Do you think you'll really want to get a HUGE overclock, or just a good one?

RAM is dirt cheap - difficult to go wrong.

With $500, I reckon you could squeeze a monitor in too ...

I like all the "Features" in the DFI BIOS ;)

Sadly, I'm not sure someone from 3 generations prior of processing will feel the same way :D Is Andrew's machine a Celeron 733 or something? I forget! I'm just suggesting that as a first-time overclocker, the Blood Iron is a bit much.

Sadly, I'm not sure someone from 3 generations prior of processing will feel the same way :D Is Andrew's machine a Celeron 733 or something? I forget! I'm just suggesting that as a first-time overclocker, the Blood Iron is a bit much.

I think it is an old AMD like 1Ghz or 1.2Ghz...

Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3L - $90 (someone expressed concerns about the EP versions in another thread, not sure if there is anything to that?)

E7200 - $132

RAM: There are lots of options and it's pretty cheap ~ $50

8800GT - Free :)

WD 320GB - $70 (single platter.. quiet)

Corsair VX450 - $70 ($60 w/ rebate) or

Antec EA 430W - $60 ($30 w/ rebate).

That's the important stuff covered for around $400

I suppose you could go cheaper / smaller on the HDD if you wanted to.

Your current case would probably be fine I'm guessing?