Sign in to follow this  
Ricky C

Xbox 360 Towel Trick

Hi, im waiting for ms to pick up my broken xbox 360 (this will be the third one i have had to send off for repair). MS said it will take 3 days to send a box out, so i still have my 360 here and want to use it if possible. Has anybody used the towel trick successfully and how is it done?

Hi, im waiting for ms to pick up my broken xbox 360 (this will be the third one i have had to send off for repair). MS said it will take 3 days to send a box out, so i still have my 360 here and want to use it if possible. Has anybody used the towel trick successfully and how is it done?

Basically you block all the ventilation holes and cause it to overheat and RROD. Then supposedly when you restart it, it's supposed to work for a little while again. I've never tried it and probably never will.

I saw a video or someone who did it. I guess the xbox gets hot and the PCB bows. Overheating it remelts the solder or something. Im not sure if thats how it works, but I wouldnt try it with my xbox unless I knew it could only come back from the grave.

If i were you I'd not risk voiding the warrenty days before you need to use it.

Edited by Comp Dude2

If i were you I'd not risk voiding the warrenty days before you need to use it.

heh, never were truer words spoken

especially since you are almost guaranteed a 65nm replacement that won't have the heat issues.

i wouldn't recommend it but my friend tried it and it did work, but the fix didn't last, i think it got the rrod again a few days later.

Even if it works it is still foolish...

How can you fiend for console usage so much that you absolutely must play it even if it is not guaranteed to even work for a day?

Guy #1 "Hey, dude put down that razor blade!"

Guy #2 "Why? My Xbox is broken, I have no use in life anymore"

Guy #1 "Nonsense fool! Just force it to overheat to an extent that the solder liquefies and BAM! you can play for a few more hours!"

Guy #2 "JOY! my life force has been extended... w00t!"

I just think its a bad idea, when is it ever a good idea to overheat something?

Oh well whatever floats your boat...

Edited by Andrewr05

SMeed got the right idea, it does work but once its fixed you need to open up the 360 and remove the back bracings on the CPU/GPU cooler or it will repeat RROD again shortly.

the 360 board bends and with heat will make the solder "pop", best way to avoid RROD if your not gonna open your 360 is not playing Forza 2 (very GPU intense) and keeping it in a cooler area or a fan blowing on it. its a pain so i just open up all my 360's.

I received the "coffin" today at last, unfortunately ms included instructions in all languages apart from English, so I had to ring them up to ask how i get it shipped backed to them. UPS should be picking it up later today