Help Choosing An Ultra-portable

Yeah I tried the Eee PC 701 at the shop. The keyboard size didn't bothered me that much but I found that it seemed to be of poor quality. You said that many users have problem with it...thanks for the info I didn't know that.

But maybe something like the MSI Wind 10" could be a good in-between for the size...

Just to clarify. I have seen others mention the keyboard issue but surprisingly not that many. So don't know if mine is rare or not.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...Finally I cut a piece of paper of the MSI wind dimensions to figure out the exact size, and I can't imagine having a laptop even smaller than that. So I'm pretty sure I'll forget about the Eee PC. (Even if I saw it at the store and thought dimensions were good. I guess I was simply blinded by the amazement.)

Edited by The Smith

Wind looks good. So did CloudBook but ended up a yawn.

I wonder if buying Wind Linux and adding ram using your own XP (of some flavor) would be the most cost effective? Anxious to see the reviews. I may have an eee for sale. :glare:

Hard to beat an 80GB drive ... my tiny spaced eee will be jealous. :rolleyes:

But I just noticed you get hosed on the battery with the Linux edition. Maybe no bluetooth either which would be a non-event for me.

Yeah I read that even the firsts Wind XP edition could be delivered with a 3-cell battery. I'll have to check that.

How about a Dell Mini Inspiron? No details on availability or pricing though.

I don't think it will be available for midst-august...

So thank you everybody for your advice. Much appreciated. I'm pretty sure I'll take the Wind.

Yeah I read that even the firsts Wind XP edition could be delivered with a 3-cell battery. I'll have to check that.

I don't think it will be available for midst-august...

So thank you everybody for your advice. Much appreciated. I'm pretty sure I'll take the Wind.

Some links to previews of the Wind can be found here

I think I might get the Wind. Seriously. It has a near-full sized keyboard, and the Linux version is cheap. (If you must have XP, I'm sure you have a copy laying around. Debian with x is easy to get used to. No real reason to use XP on these, as you won't be gaming. Although, if you're using Visual Studio...)

I would get the XP version to have a bigger battery, bluetooth and 1Gb onboard RAM. And yes I will install Visual Studio so I can't run with Linux.

But I heard of the Eee PC 1000 which is a 10" version. But I didn't see any release date yet.

Yeah, with the amount of companies throwing mini notes into the ring, it really is going to pay to wait and see what is available when you actually go to buy.

Keeping an eye on developments obviously can't hurt though. ;)

Well I would want to wait but I can't wait for too long, I need it for midst-august !!!! So that leaves me 2 months...

Edit: And that is also promising.

Edited by The Smith