Sign in to follow this  
Crazy_Nate

Dfi Sli-d Won't Power On With Pcp&c Silencer 610

Well, I've tried everything that I can remember from setting up these boards, and I haven't gotten anywhere. It. Just. Won't. Turn. On. <_<

System is built from a lot of spare / old (but working) parts.

DFI Lanparty SLI D (Thermalright HR05 SLI, Scythe Ninja)

Opteron 144 (the most rock solid processor I've ever had)

Patriot Low Latency DDR400 2x1 gig

EVGA 6600GT

Old WD IDE harddrive (it works...)

IDE DVD Burner

PC Power and Cooling Silencer 610

4 power connectors are...connected. Tried the RAM in different slots (dual channel and not). Reset CMOS (as best I could remember). Tried both PCIe slots for the graphics card.

When I flip the switch on the power supply, the two amber LEDs turn on. One by the PCI slots and one by the RAM. The green LED on one of the NICs flickers on briefly as well (doesn't stay on for more than a fraction of a second).

Still nothing. I hit the power button on the motherboard and it doesn't even flinch.

Help!?! :blink:

have you tried the bare necessities (mobo, cpu, ram, psu, keyboard) out of the case with the mobo on the mobo box?

have you tried the bare necessities (mobo, cpu, ram, psu, keyboard) out of the case with the mobo on the mobo box?

Ah. Yup. Forgot to mention that. My first post was eaten by the reload button. The motherboard is sitting on top of the foam packing material, on top of the motherboard box.

I've tried with the hard drive and burner disconnected (and no graphics card as well), however, same results.

I'm contemplating borrowing my girlfriend's OCZ gamextream and giving that a try. It sure seems like it's a power supply issue, but, I just don't know.

Ah. Yup. Forgot to mention that. My first post was eaten by the reload button. The motherboard is sitting on top of the foam packing material, on top of the motherboard box.

I've tried with the hard drive and burner disconnected (and no graphics card as well), however, same results.

I'm contemplating borrowing my girlfriend's OCZ gamextream and giving that a try. It sure seems like it's a power supply issue, but, I just don't know.

I just had this exact problem...

it's probably because of a short.... but if you're testing it out of the case (and if you're not, then try that) and it still has those problems, your board is shot...

I had to RMA my board to DFI... I just got it back and it's fine now.

good luck

yep... I have the Ultra-D (modded to SLI-D) and the SLI-D... both will boot without CPU and/or RAM installed (post error beeps, no display, fan headers provide power), so if it's doing nothing at all, it's the board...

I just had this exact problem...

it's probably because of a short.... but if you're testing it out of the case (and if you're not, then try that) and it still has those problems, your board is shot...

I had to RMA my board to DFI... I just got it back and it's fine now.

good luck

Whoof. I was hoping I wouldn't have to do that. When I swapped the heatsink plates for the Ninja heatsink, I unknowingly permanently attached the bottom plate to the traces on the motherboard. I've had the motherboard working before...I've got a 4400+ that I was using then (it might be fried because of a cheap PSU that came with a case). I've been putting stuff together to figure out what works and what doesn't. It's just really hard because I can't (and don't want to) keep getting more parts. I've done that before and spent hundreds of dollars.

The only thing that I've changed on the motherboard since I used it last was change the chipset heatsink to the thermalright one. I didn't have any trouble getting it on.

I'll look at the circuit board and see if there's anything obvious, but, beyond that, I don't think RMAing is an option for me. :unsure:

Thanks for the responses.

Tomorrow, I'll try the PCP&C in my GF's computer (SLI-D, 3800+) and test that.

The only thing I've done to the motherboard is put it in a box for > 1 year, and install a different chipset heatsink today. It worked with both enermax PSU's I had before. We'll see if it's the power supply tomorrow.

If I could, I would just buy another Expert...but sadly, these boards are very difficult to find.

Well...I tried it in my girlfriends computer, no go. Called the PCP&C tech support and some nice guy walked me through jumping it. Pretty simple process...just plug in a hard drive or two, and jump the green one to any black.

No dice. Seems it was DOA. *phew*

RMA on the way. Thanks for the advice.

"PC Power and Cooling Silencer 610"

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.

I guess even the real good companies can have a lemon once and awhile, good to hear that the board still has a chance to refire when all is proper.

laterzzz.....

Well...I tried it in my girlfriends computer, no go. Called the PCP&C tech support and some nice guy walked me through jumping it. Pretty simple process...just plug in a hard drive or two, and jump the green one to any black.

No dice. Seems it was DOA. *phew*

RMA on the way. Thanks for the advice.

I am curious to see what will happen when you get the new one.......

I ran into the exact same situation as yours. I could not get the 610 to work on my SLI-DR for the life of me. I know the board is good and the PSU is good. I can use any other PSU with my SLI-DR; and use my Silencer 610 with any other motherboard. I just ended up using an OCZ with the board.

I am curious to see what will happen when you get the new one.......

I ran into the exact same situation as yours. I could not get the 610 to work on my SLI-DR for the life of me. I know the board is good and the PSU is good. I can use any other PSU with my SLI-DR; and use my Silencer 610 with any other motherboard. I just ended up using an OCZ with the board.

Well, I just got the new unit from Newegg. Just plugged it in and it's running well so far. Doing memtest at the moment, before I will try installing Vista. I'll let you know if there are any problems along the way, but I hope this will be a nice long relationship with PCP&C.

:thumbs-up:

Memtested A-ok.

24+ hours prime stable. 32C full load with coretemp (30 full load with ITE SmartGuardian) :)

Karajan audio isn't working, but, I guess that's not too difficult to circumvent.

This power supply is laughing at my computer. I can't even feel any warm air coming out of the back...

Next up...more hardware tests. The 4400+ is waiting to be used...as are a small stack of hard drives. Anyone need any zip drives? (HAH!)