Sign in to follow this  
InCrYsIs

New Rpg To Play

I overlooked Hellgate. The reviews weren't that good. I take Gamespot, IGN and PC Gamer as sources. They all pretty much had the same thing to say. Out of 10 what would someone rate Hellgate? Maybe I'll try it out if its a bargain price.

the wife played Hellgate. She liked it but I played it a bit and watched her and it was ultra-boring. Same thing over and over. Not even in the sense of typical RPG's of "go kill 3 of these, bring me 5 of that" a la WoW etc. It was like the same exact thing over and over again.

No real story, no real plot, no character developments...it was just weak and boring in my opinion. By the time the wife got to the end, she said the same exact thing, and was heavily disappointed.

I expected more out of the dev team that came up with Diablo.

the wife played Hellgate. She liked it but I played it a bit and watched her and it was ultra-boring. Same thing over and over. Not even in the sense of typical RPG's of "go kill 3 of these, bring me 5 of that" a la WoW etc. It was like the same exact thing over and over again.

No real story, no real plot, no character developments...it was just weak and boring in my opinion. By the time the wife got to the end, she said the same exact thing, and was heavily disappointed.

I expected more out of the dev team that came up with Diablo.

Okay that's what I was after. I'll skip it. Everybody has thier own take on things. If the majority of opinions are the same that counts for something.

Edited by InCrYsIs

Okay that's what I was after. I'll skip it. Everybody has thier own take on things. If the majority of opinions are the same that counts for something.

The majority of reviews are 7-8's and I said it was worth it, while angry said it wasn't....where exactly do you see the majority saying skip it? :P

HGL wasn't bad... it just wasn't that good either. I sunk plenty of hours into it and had some fun too, but it just got to the point where I figured I'd seen all the game had to offer (and I wasn't through the plot yet). Same old levels, same old monsters, same old missions. Just grinding for levels that didn't even really mean anything.

Angry did a good job of describing it. It got to a level of repetition that I honestly think has been unparalleled in my experience. I can't even really describe why. I've played plenty of MMOs and done the whole "kill 6 of these" and "collect 25 of these" until I was blue in the face, but HGL really just felt worse than that. And the plot was just too cryptic and way too much reading. I lost interest and even after trying to pick it up again recently I just couldn't make it happen.

The majority of reviews are 7-8's and I said it was worth it, while angry said it wasn't....where exactly do you see the majority saying skip it? :P

Just others who I have spoke to about it. I've found a few 3 out of 5 scores. 7.0 on gamespot(although average there haven't been many 7 out of 10 games I have liked). My boss played the game and thought it was boring and repetitive. I just haven't heard anything that makes me want to play it. It's 29.99 now. Maybe if it gets down to 19.99.

Just others who I have spoke to about it. I've found a few 3 out of 5 scores. 7.0 on gamespot(although average there haven't been many 7 out of 10 games I have liked). My boss played the game and thought it was boring and repetitive. I just haven't heard anything that makes me want to play it. It's 29.99 now. Maybe if it gets down to 19.99.

Well I think anyone can easily get 40 hours out of it before any boredom sets in, and that's more playtime than you'll get from most $50 games not called GTA or Oblivion :lol:.

Well I think anyone can easily get 40 hours out of it before any boredom sets in, and that's more playtime than you'll get from most $50 games not called GTA or Oblivion :lol:.

Bought Hellgate this weekend. Not bad. It was worth the 30 bucks.

Bought Hellgate this weekend. Not bad. It was worth the 30 bucks.

Glad you think so. That's all I was trying to get at. No, it's not the best game out there, and there's definitely room for improvement, but for $30, you'll definitely get your money's worth. And it appears you have DX10, so it looks a little better with that (though I'd suggest dialing down AA)

Glad you think so. That's all I was trying to get at. No, it's not the best game out there, and there's definitely room for improvement, but for $30, you'll definitely get your money's worth. And it appears you have DX10, so it looks a little better with that (though I'd suggest dialing down AA)

I think it will be a good game to go back and forth with Mass Effect. I like playing a couple of games and once to get a break from each other. Hellgate is more kill everything while mass effect is a little more thought provoking.

I think it will be a good game to go back and forth with Mass Effect. I like playing a couple of games and once to get a break from each other. Hellgate is more kill everything while mass effect is a little more thought provoking.

Agreed. I can't recall the last time I've only played one game at a time.

lol I got about 10 hours into it and realized it was the same old thing. I was proven correct when the wife hit the 30+ hour mark, and eventually the end of the game.

I'm about to re-install Gothic III and use the new 1.6 patch. Gothic III is a killer RPG but it fails repeatedly with the horrible bugs. I keep trying with each new patch, and I keep getting disappointed. But I gotta keep trying. There's that much potential for it to be stellar...