Sign in to follow this  
Breaker_74

Ram Running At 30% On Idle

Ok I have vista 64bit and I have a cpu/Ram usage gadget on the side, I don't know that they are 100% accurate but fairly close I would say and the ram is constantly sitting at 30% even when I'm not doing anything. I'm running memtest at the moment on it but thought I would see if there is an explanation to this?

It doesnt effect game play or rdmark scores but I just find it odd, its Ballistix tracer 2x2gig sticks of 800

Cheers, Olly

It's most likely due to Vista's pre-caching feature. Loads stuff up before you use it for faster execution when you do decide to use it, etc. AFAIK(Not a vista user myself) that's completely normal but if you wanted to disable that feature, you can.

Yeah, that's what gets lots folks about Vista initially(even me when I did give it a shot...box is collecting dust now).

Keep in mind there's a chance that I'm completely wrong and your system is just totally screwed but I haven't been that far off ever(?) so I think you're good. :lol:

I have several test HDs, one of them is running with Vista Ultimate 32 bit, and I have noticed HD activity when it appears nothing is happening...now I understand.

M$ is their own worst enemy, XP is a rippin OS, in 32bit, not bad in 64 bit, with Vista, not so good...maybe companies just don't like dealing with M$, gots to be a reason for the pathethic driver support in the 64bit world, and Vista in general........

XP Pro FTW....

Laterzzzz.............

Ya mine runs around 30% used up, got vista 64-bit. Never really a problem, things load in a flash. Mind you when going from XP up to Vista, I switched from a Athlon 64 3000+ / 2gb ram DDR-400 up to whats in my sig, so can't really compare performance. My works computer though, is a E6600 with 2gb, running on XP and it's really not noticably faster.

"ZOMG IT USES RAM LIKE CRAZY" No .. That's what it's supposed to do. :lol: