Help! Dfi S939 Nf4 Boards -- No Post In Dual Channel

Yes, i read your post there as well. It's not a problem that i've ever had, so i'm just as stumped as you are. All the things i would of suggested you've already tried. Just one thing sort of comes to mind though. On your SLI-D, the Vdimm jumpers are set to normal operation, and not to the high Vdimm setting ?

Yeah.. It's set to normal operation...

actually, I need to bust out my trust Digital multimeter and double check voltages... though I doubt thats a problem...

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BTW...

I haven't had time to do any testing... but I did slap the Ultra-D in the case and it's been up and running... quite well... for a few weeks now...

Dual Channel, Stable, Overclocked, No Sata corruption... it's been doing so well that I'd just keep the Ultra-D as my main board, but I need more SATA connections! I guess I could just use a SATA card.. I have one...

but I'm looking to get another set of RAM... just in case.... and if that doesn't work then I'll sell them on ebay as is...

RGone seems to think that is it because the DFI NF4 boards don't officially support opteron chips.... lol.... well... maybe they are fickle with them... but I know that this same board worked well with my opteron for years.... and if you look in the old DFI s939 database you'll see that the Opteron was one of the most used CPU's for those entries... including mine (and kitfit1)

oh well... I'll post later when I know something.

thx to all for your help

BTW...

I haven't had time to do any testing... but I did slap the Ultra-D in the case and it's been up and running... quite well... for a few weeks now...

Dual Channel, Stable, Overclocked, No Sata corruption... it's been doing so well that I'd just keep the Ultra-D as my main board, but I need more SATA connections! I guess I could just use a SATA card.. I have one...

but I'm looking to get another set of RAM... just in case.... and if that doesn't work then I'll sell them on ebay as is...

RGone seems to think that is it because the DFI NF4 boards don't officially support opteron chips.... lol.... well... maybe they are fickle with them... but I know that this same board worked well with my opteron for years.... and if you look in the old DFI s939 database you'll see that the Opteron was one of the most used CPU's for those entries... including mine (and kitfit1)

oh well... I'll post later when I know something.

thx to all for your help

Opterons? HA. My best / most stable chips have been opterons. They've worked flawlessly with my SLI-D and Expert. I did a 100+ hour blend with 4 gigs on my 144 + Expert.

Hopefully a different set of RAM will help you nail down the problem. :thumbs-up: This is a really odd problem.

When you turn it on, does it get stuck on any of the LEDs (on either board?)?

OK..

Update with the expert...

I just bought some Kick . Old Skool BH-5... Corsair 3500C2 xms3502v1.1...

then, while waiting for it... I realized I have a set of Corsiar... and no joke... it turned out to be the EXACT same set... Corsair 3500C2 xms3502v1.1!!!

so when the other set gets here I'll have 4 DIMMS of old skool BH-5.... anyways.. on to the point of this post...

When I set up my Corsair BH-5 in Dual Channel it DOES POST.... it will POST after a CMOS clear... even go into memtest or windows at the most basic default settings.... so IT CAN run DC....

but any change I try to make in the BIOS and forget it.... NO POST... NO Nothing after that... it's either hold down the Insert key for defaults or clear the CMOS for defaults, or nothing...

This sucks, but is still good news in a way... I know the board is atleast capable of DC... so It may be some weird BIOS issue... I will try Loggan's software CMOS clear (again) and a different bios to see it that helps...

also.... my buddy Kitfit1 just asked me to try a unique kind of CMOS clear as well... hopefully something will happen..

I just don't think this is a RAM issue... but I scored some new BH-5 and some new TCCD that I'll try out just in case.

I'll post the results.

thx

Real shame that did'nt work Darien. Last ditch attempt must be to work your way through Tmod's cd untill you find a bios that will run DC.

Yeah... well I've tried 3 or 4 of those BIOS's... no luck.. all the same...

My new ram arrived and now I've tried my:

OCZ plat. 4800 elites TCCD

OCZ Plat rev. 2 3200 TCC5

OCZ 4000 VX Winbond CH-5 UTT

OCZ 4000 Gold XTC UCCC

Geil Ultra-X 4400 TCCD

Corsair 3500C2PT Winbond BH-5

All of them single channel fine... dual channel nuthin =(

bummer... one is going RMA.. the other back to where I found it.. ebay... I'll just be honest and say that DC didn't work for me... but I don't want the damn board if It can only run single channel

Edited by Darien

Yeah... well I've tried 3 or 4 of those BIOS's... no luck.. all the same...

My new ram arrived and now I've tried my:

OCZ plat. 4800 elites TCCD

OCZ Plat rev. 2 3200 TCC5

OCZ 4000 VX Winbond CH-5 UTT

OCZ 4000 Gold XTC UCCC

Geil Ultra-X 4400 TCCD

Corsair 3500C2PT Winbond BH-5

All of them single channel fine... dual channel nuthin =(

bummer... one is going RMA.. the other back to where I found it.. ebay... I'll just be honest and say that DC didn't work for me... but I don't want the damn board if It can only run single channel

There are so many options with this board...First you should know that your tccd and similar ram won't work with the expert (at least not without mem errors). It was created to work well with bh-x and ch-x memory, there was a sister board created to work really well with tccd ram, but i can't think of the name of it off-hand. Anyway, here's two settings i got to work. Also, i had to put the plats in different slots then i had to put the ch-5 stuff i had. I'll try to remember to check which slots they are tonight...

Drive str (DRAM Dr Str) and Read Premable Time are a big deal to this board. Pay attention to the tcl as well. I'm pasting this from an excel sheet i used a good while back, so some of the stuff you aren't going to see in the bios, but all of the important stuff is there. The tcl + the trcd + 1 should be the lowest tras number you can use, the tras should be 1 less or equal to the trcd in most cases, the trc should be double the tcl and trcd, the trrd and the twr should always be the same, and 90% of the time you'll get mem errors if the trwt isn't the same as well...bleh anyway...Here's what i have for you...The whole excel file is attached if you're interested, i have it in a .rar file. I personally would recommend against opening stuff from strangers though ;-), as your friendly IT admin. Scratch that, it didn't like my rar file, oh well.

3800+

OCZ Platnium 2GB (2 x 1GB) OCZ4002048ELDCPE-K

Comments:

Bios Control

CPU Multiplier 10 10

CPU VID Startup Value Auto Auto

CPU VID Control Auto=1.35 Auto Auto

CPU VID Special Control Auto Auto

Actual Voltage 1.4 1.4

Chipset Voltage Control Auto Auto

LDT Voltage Auto Auto

HTT (LDT/FSB) Auto 4

CPU Mhz 2000 2100

FSB 200 210

Memory FSB 200 200

Memory Voltage 2.8 2.8

Mem Percentage 100 100

Mem and Ratio 200/1:1 200/1:1

CPC en en

Tcl 2.5 2.5

Trcd 3 3

Tras 8 8

Trp 3 3

Trc 10 10

Trfc 16 16

Trrd 3 3

Twr 3 3

Twtr 2 2

Trwt 3 3

Tref 3120 3120

Odd Div Dis Dis

Dram B Interleave en en

DQS Skew auto auto

DQS Skew Val 0 0

DRAM Dr Str 9 9

DRAM Data Dr Str 2 2

Max Async Lat 8 8

Dram Response Time Fast Fast

Read Premable Time 5 5

idlecycle limit 64 64

dynamic counter dis dis

r/w queue bypass 16x 16x

bypass max 7x 7x

32 byte granularity dis dis

and a 3rd option...slightly larger oc. 230fsb

Auto

Auto

Auto

Auto

Auto

200/1:2

en

Dis

en

auto

Fast

dis

16x

7x

dis

Sorry about that being hard to read! ( ><)!

Edited by shields

I'd also like to add...

That 3800 is an X2...and that overclocking a single core is much much easier on this board. I currently have a fx55 in there which has been sitting at 2.8 for a while now...i spent about 15 sec setting that up. At some point i'd like to take the time to get it to 3 ghz solid, but i haven't taken the time so far. I got my 3500+ to 2.7 solid, and by solid i mean 18+ hrs of prime, and 6+ hrs of gaming. Let me know if you want some more settings that work, i have lots, if i get my http site up and going again i'll give you the link. That way you can just browse through the different cpu/memory settings i've been through. I spent weeks with this motherboard before i went on to another one, and i'd love for someone else to be able to use some of the knowledge.

I'd also like to add...

That 3800 is an X2...and that overclocking a single core is much much easier on this board. I currently have a fx55 in there which has been sitting at 2.8 for a while now...i spent about 15 sec setting that up. At some point i'd like to take the time to get it to 3 ghz solid, but i haven't taken the time so far. I got my 3500+ to 2.7 solid, and by solid i mean 18+ hrs of prime, and 6+ hrs of gaming. Let me know if you want some more settings that work, i have lots, if i get my http site up and going again i'll give you the link. That way you can just browse through the different cpu/memory settings i've been through. I spent weeks with this motherboard before i went on to another one, and i'd love for someone else to be able to use some of the knowledge.

Well...

I wasn't gonna say anything... cuz I don't want to anyone to think I don't appreciate help...

but seriously.... did you read the thread?

I'm not new man... I've been doing this for a while... and I'm pretty good... I've had this rig over 3GHz stable... I don't need any help 'tweaking'...

and weeks??? i've had these boards for years!

the damn thing don't POST...

not to mention your dead wrong wrong about most of what you said... TCCD works great in these boards and the 'expert' doesn't have a 'sister' board that works with TCCD...

I can appreciate you trying to help.. but you should read the thread first.

someone close this thread... I've already talked with DFI RMA... they agree the board is whack and will repair it..

thx everyone for their help

Edited by Darien