Great_Gig

Help Needed With A 6800 Gt Problem?

Hoping somebody can help a noob with a failed OC?

Don't laugh, as I feel a bit of an idiot at the moment - but I guess we all start somewhere?

Anyway, tonight after installing some proper cooling in my rig, I decided to put the info I have gleaned from this forum to some use. So I decided to overclock my 6800GT and see what happened? All seemed OK, my cooling is great and after installing the ZEROtherm GX820 my Idle and Load temps were down by around 15 degrees at Idle and 25 at Load! Time to push the card I thought, so full of confidence I used ATITool and found what I thought was a stable Core of 439 Mhz and Memory at 1112 Mhz (the stock for my 6800GT was 350 Mhz and 1000 Mhz).

All looked fine in Windows, and the GPU was at around 50 degrees C, which is way below what it used to be with the stock cooler.

So there I was thinking to myself this stuff is easy, when the screen froze. I was forced to reset and now everytime Windows starts to load I get a nano second of BSOD, before the system restarts. I cannot start Windows in normal or safe mode and cannot find anything in the BIOS for setting the card back to stock settings.

I'm lost now on what to do - can anyone help with some advice?

GG

Edited by Great Gig

I'm lost now on what to do - can anyone help with some advice?

Unplug the system. remove your card. Power the system with no card and unplug it again when it beeps at you about no video. Put your card back in and fire it up again. If it works, great. If not, unplug your system and find your BIOS jumper and reset your BIOS. Fire it back up. If it works, great. Go back in your bios and set it back up for your chip and ram. If not, you might have to consider the possibility you fried your card.

This has happend to me a few times but was always able to boot in safe mode.

and 439 IMO is a little to much to ask for out of this card, well at least for me. anything over 420-1130 and i get screen locking

after 2 hour's of COD4. so i brought it down to 416-1130 and all seemes well.

I had to read your post three times because something wasn't making sense to me. You put the ZeroTherm (a passive HS) on the GT and had temps of 15 and 25? That seems really really low to me. Then after your OC you were pushing 50. That seems like a heck of a jump. I could just be crazy but seems odd to me almost like a incorrect temp readout or something. On a side note I did not know you could use ATITool to over clock a Nvidia card. I thought you could only use bios or NVtweak for a Nvidia card.

So unless I am not understanding I agree with what has been posted before, but it sounds to me like your GT just gave up the ghost.

IDK my crazy opinion.

Unplug your opticals and what ever you can in case you are not getting sufficient power for some reason, but if what you added is passive, probably not the issue. I've had the psu go south but not totally die just when I was changing something and thought it was something I did. Took days to finally consider it was the PSU. Just a coincidence.

Thanks guys, will give your advice a try and report back - I hope I have not fried my card, grown quite attached to it - It's worked perfectly for years!

Regarding ATITool, that is what I used to Overclock the card and I didn't really intend to run it that high, I was just experimenting and intended to bring it back to 400/1100 like an Ultra. I guess I got a little carried away! Maybe an expensive error and I have ruined a perfectly good card :(

The HS is a ZEROtherm GX820 which has a 70mm fan built in and was working great, those 15 - 25c figures were the amount my temps had dropped by - sorry if I was a little unclear. With the stock cooler and settings, I was getting 58-59c at Idle and then 80-82c under Load. With the GX820 fitted and the fan running at 100% I got 44-45c at Idle but the best bit was under load it never went above 55c. With the fan speed at 50% Idle temps were up to 46-47c. Never got as far as tesing under load! These were recorded just after fitting, so maybe they would have dropped a little further after the Arctic Silver had 'broken-in'. Quite good cooling I thought, especially the load temp being below the stock Idle temps. Maybe I will do a mini review of this HS, if it's not been done before?

gx820.jpg

My beloved 6800GT

I was also wondering, is there no way of using something in DOS or a program you boot into to adjust the clock speeds down again, or can this only be done in Windows? Finally, would the card still provide a screen for entering the BIOS if it was fried? The point it goes to the BSOD is just after the Windows loading Logo clears and the O/S is about to start?

Thanks again for the help.

GG

Edited by Great Gig

FIXED

Phew, the card is not fried and it was a simple solution, which I should have been able to diagnose myself, what a numpty!

Anyway, it was Windows itself that was screwed, why it wouldn't let me into Safe Mode I don't know. I have another 160GB drive that I use for trying stuff out thats set to my system. Slotted that in and alls fine, so my other disk has a corrupt O/S on it. Everything is purring along nicely now and I think I have learnt a valuable lesson :blush: .

Thanks for all the help guys and the quick responses, it's great to know that folk are out there willing to lend a hand. I am a long time member of another forum and it disappoints me when new members come along, who are then verbally trashed by others - we all have to start somewhere?

This has been a very welcoming start - much appreciated.

GG

PS. I shall be sticking to 400/1100 from now and not getting greedy - I think I got off lightly :D

Not Fixed!

Well something is definitely screwed for sure, after running for awhile I am now getting the BSOD a short while after Windows starts. Feeling a bit miserable really and annoyed I have screwed a perfectly good system! Still not 100% sure what the problem is, but the 6800GT is obviously the number 1 suspect. I have it back at stock settings, but the system is flaky as hell and won't run for long before crashing. Why did I mess with it :(

As I am totally new to this, is it possible I have screwed something else, or is it just likely to be the graphics card - any tips or advice would be appreciated?

From hero to zero for sure, I was so chuffed yesterday, my case was tidy as hell with cables out the way and everything looking great. Now I have a good looking ornament!

GG

After seeing the way this HSF mounts I would suggest, make sure it is seated flat with even pressure and good contact with HS compound, very important for proper heat transfer.

post-22171-1211824720_thumb.jpg

Not sure what to say about the compatibility chart. The way I read it 6600 thru 7800 AGP No Good.

Are All four mounting screws being used & is copper pad covering the entire surface of GPU? If not i would put stock cooler back on and bump up the fan speed in 3D applications.

Thanks and that is a little confusing! The ZEROtherm website and the box had this as a compatible cooler for the 6800 and it fits a treat. The temps it was giving me were excellent too, well below stock right across the board? I spent a lot of time fitting it and did it twice as I was not totally happy the first time. It is seated perfectly at the moment, which is backed up by the great temps. All four screws are applied, the copper HS base is flat and true to the GPU and covers it completely - Arctic Silver 5 finishes the job. But your reply is not confidence building, maybe it's not right for the 6800GT after all?

fit.jpg

My system is still screwed though - doh! I have started a fresh post detailing the whole thing, have a peek and any comments would be welcome?

New topic regarding this failed overclock.

Many thanks

GG

Edited by Great Gig

OK! This is the deal! I don't believe yet that your card is dead! I think there is something going on with your PSU! Do you own a multimeter? If yes I would check the voltages on your PSU. I don't think a OC'ed card can screw up a OS to the point that you cant even boot in safe mode. 460 Watt is a little lousy for a dual core and a 6800GT for my taste. I'm pretty sure your PSU has had enough and the OC you put on your card was just too much for it. Let us know how you make out!

Many thanks for that HITandRUN, I am starting to think that myself too. I am about to build a complete new rig, which is kinda why I had a go at this one. I'm going to get a Corsair HX620, so will buy that first and try it out. I do have a multimeter, but didn't consider that! So again many thanks - I reckon the overclock and the new fans running full tilt was a bit too much and may have tipped the PSU over.

I'll let you guys know how I get on and thanks again to all for your help, especially as I'm a new member. If you were round the corner I would buy you a beer! ;)

GG

PS. I'm going to use a new post for this now, which is a little better laid out.

New Post re this overclock