CrackHead

Video Card Suggestions

I like Evga I like their warranties the step up program, their rebates payoff

and their cards just look better to me. I like NewEgg because they are

always good to me.

There is the 8600GT 256

If you really really don't want but a very casual once in a while game.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814130085

Next step 9600GT 512

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814130334

8800GT 512, new model, probably more than you wanted to spend

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814130357

I just purchased an XFX 8800GT with a nice Zalman cooler for $185.00 including tax & shipping. Not a bad buy at all I'd say considering it is still dominating the benchmarks for its price range and then some. Oh and by the way I forgot to mention I purchased it from Newegg.com. Here is the link to the card. Comes with all connectors as expected and includes free 3 days UPS ground shipping with a free copy of Company of Heroes. I understand you don't game as often anymore but all the same it adds some perks to the possible purchase. There are other recommendations such as the PowerColor X1950Pro 256mb which I currently have (waiting on 8800GT to arrive after weekend) and it performs better than I had expected it and also comes with an appealing price tag. My final recommendation would be the 8600GT but for the same or less money you can get the better performing X1950Pro.

Edited by phen0L

i have 2 9600gt bfg oc cards im going to be selling in about 1 week for $100 apiece they are factory set at 675 but will oc to 720 stable

any HD3870 will do and they are much lower than your budget, some can be had for 150 and a mir

Thanks everyone for you help thus far, I had a couple of quick questions though:

• What on earth is PCI Express 2.0 x16?
  • Is it backwards compatible with PCI Express x16
  • Aside from it be the next generation, are there any significant benefits to using it?
  • Would it be wise to buy a card that is capable of this new format for future upgrades?

• Hypothetically speaking lets say I choose to run crossfire, would two low end cards ~$125/each out preform a single mid range card ~$225? Keeping in mind that my motherboard only supports one slot at x16 and the other at x4. I know that is a hard question to answer due to the number of variables, but I figured it was worth a shot.

• Can anyone point me in the direction where I might find how each card stacks up against the other. Or at the very least explain the hierarchy of ATI / Nvidia?

• What brands would you recommend?
  • Are there any brands that I should avoid?

Edited by CrackHead

[*]Can anyone point me in the direction where I might find how each card stacks up against the other. Or at the very least explain the hierarchy of ATI / Nvidia?

Take it with a grain of salt, but Tom does a decent job of going through the video card options. Here's his May 2008 Video Card guide, at the end is a comparison of which nVidia gfx chipset matches up with an ATi chipset (approximately).

Choosing a video card can be quite difficult, usually I just read a review and look for the games i play, then chose the best vid card on the list for the games I play.

Which happened to be the 8800GT

Thanks to everyone's suggestions and some digging of my own, I think I'm going to go with one of the 8800GTS. I was leaning towards EVGA 640-P2-N829-AR GeForce 8800GTS however everywhere I look people are saying to make sure and get the 512mb version but don't explain why. Can anyone elaborate on this?

Thanks to everyone's suggestions and some digging of my own, I think I'm going to go with one of the 8800GTS. I was leaning towards EVGA 640-P2-N829-AR GeForce 8800GTS however everywhere I look people are saying to make sure and get the 512mb version but don't explain why. Can anyone elaborate on this?

The 512MB GTS is that of the G92 core and hence you'll get a bit more performance than the original 640MB version, and it's cheaper, amongst other things. :thumbs-up:

I dont know if this has been said yet but the new galaxy 9600 GSO 384mb can be softmodded to a G92 8800gts 512mb and the GSO is almost half the price of a GTS

Anyway, thats my input :D

I second the eVGA GeForce 8800 GTS (G92). I have one, and it is amazing. You can play things such as Gears of War, COD4, and Timeshift on max and hang around 50-80FPS. Crysis, with a few mods and tweaks, I can play on max with no AA and hit ~20-25FPS.

Personally, it is one of the greatest cards I've owned.