CrackHead

Video Card Suggestions

Here's the setup; about a month ago I upgraded my motherboard, processor, and memory but funds were a little tight so I decided to hold off on the video card. Due to low resell value for the parts that were replaced and since my folks Dell 8200 is struggling to satisfy their needs, I choose to go ahead and build them a "new" computer. The only issue was I didn't have a spare video card to give away. Rather than purchasing them a low end model I was able to convince them to pickup the tab for a mid range video card that I would use and they would get my old XFX GeForce 6800GS.

That being said I was wondering if any of y'all had any advice or suggestions on which video card to go with as I am completely in the dark and can't find that freaking light switch. Although I have 2 x PCI Express x16 slots I more than likely not being running dual GPUs as I rarely game anymore, and the amount of time in between graphic card purchases. All in all, I'm looking to spend around $225 for this new video card (the lower the better).

Approximate Budget: $150 - $225

Operating System: Windows Vista Ultimate

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS4 LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX

Power Supply: Antec TruePower Quattro TPQ-1000 ATX12V / EPS12V 1000W

Thanks in Advanced...

Keep an eye out and pick up 8800GT 512 for around $130 usually involving some rebate. I picked up one last week and passed up one. I'm just starting to see them that low.

Edited by Syngensmyth

@ paulktreg that cards ok but an 8800gt can be had for about the same price and would offer better performance. As for the OP i recommend the 8800gts 512MB ($209 w/MIR $180)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814127325

Better performance I agree but only by about 10%. He did say lower the better and he's not gaming much. It will run anything you throw at it and about $20.00 cheaper.

Better performance I agree but only by about 10%. He did say lower the better and he's not gaming much. It will run anything you throw at it and about $20.00 cheaper.

10% is quite alot, its like saying the difference in playing games is from 10 FPS to 20FPS...He says he ha about $225 to spend and the 8800gts 512MB is one of the best cards out for the money, especially at $179. But if he wants something cheaper, I suggest the 9600gt from PNY its at $144.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814133216

and the 9600gt is better then the 3870. Hm this thread is making me sound like an Nvidia fanboy :P, im not i love AMD thats why i bought a 3850 at the time, but ATI is my personal preference and not his so i have to recommend whats best, and whats better for his money.

10% is quite alot, its like saying the difference in playing games is from 10 FPS to 20FPS...He says he ha about $225 to spend and the 8800gts 512MB is one of the best cards out for the money, especially at $179. But if he wants something cheaper, I suggest the 9600gt from PNY its at $144.

and the 9600gt is better then the 3870. Hm this thread is making me sound like an Nvidia fanboy :P, im not i love AMD thats why i bought a 3850 at the time, but ATI is my personal preference and not his so i have to recommend whats best, and whats better for his money.

10 fps to 20 fps would be 100%.

10% would be 10fps to 11fps. Not much of a difference. Or 100 FPS with a 10% uptick would be 110 FPS. Still not much.

Lol 10pc is not even noticable unless you are benchmarking...

The 9600gt is better then the 3850, and just about the same as the 3970.

For your price range I would say an 8800GTS. More expensive then the GT, but the performance increase is larger then the price increase - and it is still in your budget.

You will always get divided loyalties but I have always been an ATI man but over the last 8 months I have been using the nVidia brand and must say quite impressed and at the moment I am using the XFX 8800GTS 512mb and the reason I took this over the GT version was that it runs a lot cooler than the GT and the performance is just as good.

Standard it runs at 650mhz core and I have OC it using Rivatuner to 720 core and it's running stable considering I game a lot at least 3 hours a day, it has never let me down.

But read all the feedback and make up your own mind.

The 9600GT is a great card. Can be found for $125 after rebates. But the 8800GTS would be the one I would get.

Guest ajmatson

Since you are not gaming I would go with either the 9600GT or the 3870 (Just in case you need a little power). The 8800GTS would be a waste for you. If there is a chance you might game in the future I would go with the 3870 so you can crossfire later without changing the motherboard.

I'd agree with aj, on this one. Although the 8800GT is a better card, and can be had for the same price as the 3870, with your board, if you do decide to game in the future, then adding another 3870 or a newer 4870 would be the simplest upgrade. If you see yourself not doing that then I'd suggest a 9600GT like EVGA 9600GT $130 after rebates.