New Build Pics - Abit Ax78

red930

Just finished installing my latest build in it's new case after running it on my coffee table for a couple of weeks.

Specs

Motherboard - Abit AX78

Operating system - Vista Ultimate

Memory - 4GB (2x2GB kit) G.Skill DDR2 1066

Video card - Asus EAH3870

Hard drive - 160 GB Hitachi SATA

Optical drive - Pioneer DVR-215DBK SATA

Case - Gigabyte 3DMars GZ-FA2CA-AJB

Power supply - OCZ GameXStream 600SLI

CPU cooler - Zalman CNPS9500A

IO devices - StarTech e-SATA backplate

Miscellaneous - Rexus TopMotor DF124010PM 40mm fan

The Gigabyte case is huge - 4" taller and 2" deeper than my Lian-Li PC82 mid tower.

I wound up removing the 3/4" (19mm) thick feet and replacing then with stick on pads from my local True Value hardware store.

Now it actually fits under my computer desk. :)

The SB hs/fan came from my DFI NF570SLI-M2/G - I replaced it with a Vantec CCB-A1C since the DFI fans always die within a year.

This time I lubed the fan's sleeve bearing with Mobile 1 so we'll see what happens.

I also put a 40mm case fan (see specs) on the PWM hs to try and cool that puppy down.

OK enough bs so on to the pics.

AX78-front.jpg

AX78-back.jpg

The case also comes with a clear side window but I like the look and cooling of the mesh window better.

AX78-side.jpg

AX78-side2.jpg

AX78-close.jpg

I would definitely recommend this case if you have the room.

It's all aluminum so it's super light and quite reasonable (see: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...82E16811233026).

It has a 120mm fan in front and 2-120mm fans in back plus 2-80mm fans for the removable hd cage.

Since I'm only using 1 hd atm I disconnected the bottom fan.

So to sum things up it's an Abit board in a Gigabyte case with an Asus vid card and a DFI fan.

Can't accuse me of being a fanboy. c045.gif

Edited by electric bill

Very nicely done.

Quite like the look of that case but without the fan leds.

Thanks paulktreg.

The LEDs are actually a lot darker than they appear in the pics.

I shot using available light since the flash overpowers the LEDs.

Had to find stuff to rest the camera on since I don't have a tripod. :P

Bill

nice pictures, by the looks of your sig you seem to be an avid AMD supporter :)

Have you tried overclocking with your Abit AX78 board, im thinking of getting one myself.

Yuk to the orange PCB I've always hated ugly colors when it comes to my mobo. Otherwise looks nice bro. Work on hiding some cables maybe and your in good shape.

nice pictures, by the looks of your sig you seem to be an avid AMD supporter :)

Have you tried overclocking with your Abit AX78 board, im thinking of getting one myself.

Yeah, I'm currently at 3.2GHz (14x229).

It's as high as I can go and still be stable without raising the Vcore above 1.42.

Yuk to the orange PCB I've always hated ugly colors when it comes to my mobo. Otherwise looks nice bro. Work on hiding some cables maybe and your in good shape.

Lol.

Here you go - this takes care of hiding the cables.

As far as the color of the pcb I'll try to remember to choose fashion over performance on my next build.

AX78-side.jpg

Bill

What, orange is the new pink, i mean blue...

Anyways, great looking build, you need some orange colored water cooling, and an extra 3870, pain the entire thing orange too, replace the blue led's with orange ones. Hell mod the case so it looks like a tropicana orange juice box... hmmm that would actually be pretty damn cool.

Is there any vid' cards with orange pcb?

*EDIT* ooo found one http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=48773 too bad it's not ati' though would be great with that board and 2 orange GPUs

Bill, how does the PSU go in and out. Is there a removable plate on the rear that anchors the PSU? I see support bars running horizontally, so if the PSU can't be extracted to the rear, they would hinder removal.

No removable back plate.

You have to stand the PSU on it's side then rotate it into position.

I put it in before installing the board.

Even with the board installed there's plenty of room to remove and reinstall the PSU.

I'll let you know how it works out when I remove it to paint it orange. c005.gif

No removable back plate.

You have to stand the PSU on it's side then rotate it into position.

I put it in before installing the board.

Even with the board installed there's plenty of room to remove and reinstall the PSU.

I'll let you know how it works out when I remove it to paint it orange. c005.gif

Yah, with that huge case it probably won't be a problem. In a small case you always have to remove the HSF ... irritating.

So you are painting orange to match the pretty orange MOBO. Good move ... super_smilies007.gif