4 Memory Stick Configuration Isnt Working

I've had 2x1gb for a long time, i recently got another two 1gb sticks of the exact same model. When I have all four sticks in my systems hangs on startup and does BSOD sometimes. When I take out the old sticks and use just the new ones it seems to work fine though. I have all the timing settings on auto and ram voltage on 2.0V.

Is there any reason why having four sticks in at the same time would not work other than the ram being physically defective?

Edited by invidious

Guest KrankyOldLady
I've had 2x1gb for a long time, i recently got another two 1gb sticks of the exact same model. When I have all four sticks in my systems hangs on startup and does BSOD sometimes. When I take out the old sticks and use just the new ones it seems to work fine though. I have all the timing settings on auto and ram voltage on 2.0V.

Is there any reason why having four sticks in at the same time would not work other than the ram being physically defective?

Did you test every ram slot seperatly? to see if its the motherbord somehow?

Or try running memtest?

"I've had 2x1gb for a long time, i recently got another two 1gb sticks of the exact same model."

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

unfortunately, when it comes to memory, stuffs can change over time...unless you bought the mems all at the same time, there is a good possibility that either the PCB or mem chips are not the same as your original sticks, even if the same part number....it is the bain of MOST mem manu's/assemblers, even the recognized mainstream rippin good memory (OCZ, Corsair, Crucial, etal) have this problem when a production line continues for awhile...

it doesn't mean that the mems won't work together, but in many cases, problems like yours pop up. there are some ways to get around it, you can use the SPD tool to modify the SPD to match exactly between the two sets, doesn't work all the time, but it is an option.

the other option is, of course, the more expensive one, if all else fails, sell your old sticks and get some more of the new ones you just got, everything should match, making for a happier experience..

laterzzz....

Have to agree with Bldegl2 I bought some Crucial Ballistix (2x1Gb) and then bought 2 more about 1 year later. Exact same Model but SPD was completely different. Mine did work but when I OC I had issues and had to set my timings in BIOS to get them to play nicely. But would not play with voltages until you "loosen" the timings. Get the system to work....upping voltages may increase instability.

Clipboard01.bmp

Edited by Boldeagle

Have to agree with Bldegl2 I bought some Crucial Ballistix (2x1Gb) and then bought 2 more about 1 year later. Exact same Model but SPD was completely different. Mine did work but when I OC I had issues and had to set my timings in BIOS to get them to play nicely. But would not play with voltages until you "loosen" the timings. Get the system to work....upping voltages may increase instability.

4-4-4-12 sold with the "exact same model" number as 5-5-5-15? I kind of doubt that. They may both have been "Crucial Ballistix DDR2-800", but I bet the model numbers were probably different. If not, I'd look into where you bought them from because that's messed up.

Either way, on DDR1 this pretty much was just a major hassle. 4 dimms was a pain in the butt almost all the time. Now there are plenty of DDR2 boards that will support four dimms without a problem. But without knowing the OP's board, it's just speculation at this point.

It isnt the memory slot, I have been using the new memory in the previously unused slots for the last day just to make sure and it has been fine.

They are both 5-5-5-15 with the same model number F2-640CL5D-2GBNQ.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820231098

I am going to go play around with timings a bit. I am currently overclocked but I have changed everything to stock and tested and still get the same results.

I'll try again. Maybe the third time is a charm :rolleyes:

What board are you using?

Many people, including myself, are having no issues running 4 dimms on P35 based systems. Other folks on nVidia chipsets are reporting that they aren't as lucky. Knowing what you have would help tremendously.

Well that didn't work well at all, system wouldn't POST after a few tries with different timings, had to reset the bios. After which I tried the 4 dimms in there with stock settings and it wouldn't even post.

My board is msi p6n sli platinum, its a 650i with nvidia chipset.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813130081

Edited by invidious

If it's unstable, drop your CPU frequency back to stock. I find it's easiest to start simple. ;)

Sometimes using Auto timings can not work out as well as one might expect. Make sure you have 2T for command per clock (CPC), the right voltages (maybe up 'em a little bit, I'm not sure with DDR2), and, if you have to, loosen your timings. After that, I'd run some memtest to see if everything plays nicely, followed by prime95, occt, 3dmark, etc.

Should have done your homework, that is a common problem.

650i cannot address four sticks at ddr2-800 due to chipset limitations. Step it down to ddr2-667, or preferably get 2x2gb kit for 4gigs @ ddr2-800+.

**EDIT** BTW you can try giving a bit more voltage to the NB to see if that helps it run at 800mhz, but no promises...