jaxstraww

Intel Folding Rig

Need to keep it on a budget but decided against AMD for the folding machine. Need as much input as fast because the RMA is on the clock.

MB: <$115.00 +/- 5% - also must be a Gigabyte with 4 DIMMS with a min of 1066mhz (1066 is a must but will be running 800) and covers all the current CPU's (Core 2, Extreme & Dual Core) One PCI xpress 16x is fine. Mostly going to be CPU upgrades over time. Almost forgot, at least 1 IDE hookup for my two optical drives. New HD is SATA so ok there. I would also like to keep from the Nvid set ups. I'll be pushing down GPU's from the E8400 machine I have now. Not even sure Giagbyte makes Nvid set ups now I think about it. Why Gigabyte, because I have one on the E8400 machine and would love to keep my hardware synced up with OC tweaks (mapping of) and BIOS updates. Know what I mean?

CPU: <$115.00 +/- 5% - must be Intel (get it, its an Intel rig) leaning towards the E2180 on the juice but willing to go to the budget listed for a better performing folding CPU.

That's about it. Have a case, RAM, PS and a new HD.

I like the Egg but looking around to get deals.

The GA-P35-DS3L has everything you listed. I have that same setup as my server folding 24/7 (2180 + DS3L) and it does ~16.5mins per % in native linux. Good little folder for the money. That would be my recommendation on that budget.

Linkage to DS3L (this is the upgraded model from the one i said. The revision adds the Dynamic Energy Saver.)

Its a tad over 1500 PPD (typical 2605 or 2653? finishes in ~28hrs.).

As for times in vista, I have never used vista and dont plan on shelling out ~$200 when I am more than happy with XP :)

You will have to wait for someone else to chime in on that one.

Roger that. I did have that board picked out earlier but had to asked such a narrow question because there are like10 gigabyte models in that price range. Never saw anything like that. All have a few varying part numbers.

Part of me says relax until the 6600 gets down to about $150.00. Still have to get a GPU as well. Thinking the HD 3650 but unsure how many PPD's I'll get. Don't want a HD 3870 as the folding rig will get my gaming rig GPU when it gets a bit dated. (meaning the 4xxx series is let lose)

So you have linux xlient going inside XP as I read it. So its the VMware and all of that?

Not quite, I have 2 machines. My Server, which is native Ubuntu 7.10 64-bit, which I fold 24/7 using the SMP client. My Main is left idle for ~16-18hrs a day so I have it folding via the USB method I posted in the OCC Teams section which requires no OS (but the machine has XP on it).

The only thing I somewhat worry about with GPU folding is the power consumption. I have no data to put forth, but would be curious to know what takes more power between GPU2 vs Dual Core (65\45nm) SMP vs Quad (65\45nm)SMP (2 instances). I know my 1900xt is a power sucking beast when running full tilt.

I just checked out Ubuntu 7.10 64-bit and it looks pretty interesting. Going to install that next to vista and see what I can do. I guess I run the SMP client inside that virtual setup.

You'll get quite a bit more PPD on ubuntu, then with vista. I get around 1500-1600 PPD from my E4500 at 2.8ghz, running through vista.