invidious

E6750 2.67ghz @3.4ghz

I finally got tired of my pathetic 3.0ghz overclock and decided to bite the bullet and jump past the fsb holes on my msi p6n sli platinum. So upped the volts and aimed for the lowest fsb past the known fsb holes. To my surprise I seem to have landed on my feet. It boots, benches and plays fine. Tomorrow I’m going to stress test it and try to tweak down the voltages a bit, I'm pretty sure I have them a little higher than I need.

The msi p6n is a very stubborn board to OC as some of you probably know. I found a lot more first hand reports this time around than I did last fall when I purchased this board.

The next things I'm looking at doing are a second 8800 GTS in sli, they are only $150 now, another 2gb of ram, and a new cpu heatsink.

1.42V core, 1.4V NB, 1.55V SB, 2.0V mem

MSI P6N SLI Platinum (@425fsb)

E6750 (@3.4Ghz) stock cooling

G.Skill 2x1gb PC2 6400 (@850Mhz)

EVGA 8800 GTS 320mb (@620Mhz/900Mhz)

OCZ GameXStream 700W

Vista Ultimate

What are your load temps on the stock cooler? Its going to start getting hotter and hotter now so im sure your CPU will love you when you grab the new cooler.

Im using a zalman 9700led and its a great cooler. Im hitting 49c load @ 3.2ghz @ 1.35v. That chip should take you to 3.6-3.8 with a good cooler.

P.S. Glad to see that you got over 3ghz :thumbs-up: Now the fun starts!

I always knew this system was capable of a lot more, I just didn't have time with school to work around the huge fsb holes on this motherboard. I also didn't to invest in a new cooler with the modest OC I was getting.

I think im gunna go with the tuniq tower 120, I don't like the idea of a built in fan on an expensive heatsink.

thats definately a nice oc on stock cooling! the tuniq is a good choice and should give you the thermal tranfer needed to get 3.6-8, yeah you don't need to go that high but, for benching and whatnot it's the way to go.

thats definately a nice oc on stock cooling! the tuniq is a good choice and should give you the thermal tranfer needed to get 3.6-8, yeah you don't need to go that high but, for benching and whatnot it's the way to go.

Mine is sitting at 3.3Ghz/1.41v, had to drop it down from 3.5 due to hotter ambient temps causing unstability. The cores stay around 51degC with 72degF room temps, and thats with water cooling. I think I'd have to pick up a different radiator to get it cooler, but I'm not sure. For my chip, anything beyond a 440FSB*8 would cause a non-boot unfortunately...

I'm running an E6750 at stock voltages (which is 1.3125 in bios, 1.30v in CPU-z) at a 3200MHz total speed, 400x8... this is the highest overclock I can get 24/7 stable with stock voltages, although I'm sure it'd get a decent bit higher with some more juice thrown at it. Using an AC Freezer Pro 7 I never see above 55C load temps at 100% CPU utilization, usually somewhere between 50-53C. Idles between 31-35C.

These temps are with the latest version of Core Temp in case you're wondering.

Edited by Bizzlenitch

im also curious at what your temps are with that overclock. i have my 6750 running at 3.2 with stock voltages using the stock cooler.

Also which g.skill ram do you have and what timings did you choose?

I always knew this system was capable of a lot more, I just didn't have time with school to work around the huge fsb holes on this motherboard. I also didn't to invest in a new cooler with the modest OC I was getting.

I think im gunna go with the tuniq tower 120, I don't like the idea of a built in fan on an expensive heatsink.

I have the tuniq 120 and I replaced the IMO the loud stock fan with a noctua 120mm. Much much quieter, but I lost the fan controller capability with the swap, but I was 'cool' with that :thumbs-up: