Sign in to follow this  
BizaroStormy

Help Choosing A Laptop

Im going to be going to UF this coming fall (woot!) and need help choosing a laptop.

I need it for classes and stuff but i also want to game on it because im going to leave my huge desktop at home.

I have narrowed it down to two different ASUS laptops with 2.5ghz processors.

The first one has the new nvidia 9500M GS which is basically a new sticker on a 8600M GT from the specs i looked up on it,

it has a resolution of 1440x900, a 320GB HD, and 3GB system memory.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16834220272

The second one has an ATI 3650 with 1GB dedicated memory compared to the 512 of the other and also has a higher resolution screen

and a larger hard drive, and 4GB of system memory (i know that 32bit vista will only use 3 but i was wondering if it might be dual channel because its 2X2GB sticks instead of a 2GB stick and a 1GB stick of the nvidia one)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16834220306

anyways i was wondering which would be better for gaming i like to play online games like WOW and EQ2 but i also like to play FPS like bioshock and Crysis.

also both video cards use vddr2 memory.

Thanks in advance :D

Look, if there's ONE thing with a laptop you do NOT want, it's Asus! They have the crappiest support on this planet regarding laptops, I advise you to stay as far away from them as humanly possible!

These look decent:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16834115403

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16834147615

I looked for months at every laptop you could think of, I finally settle for Asus. They have the longest waranty out there. This is the one I have, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16834220215 . I would have pick this one because of the price, but could not find any reviews anywhere. http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetai...ctCode=10008316 . I have no problem with the one I have, but it took two weeks to get the way I wanted it. There is some support on the forum to switch over to XP, but I using this one to get used to it. So I can help with other people with their vista problems. If want one that is faster, switch back over to XP.

I just recently picked up the CyberPower Xplorer X64-7000, which is based on an MSI Barebone (essentially their GX710 series) so far except for a few niggles with the keyboard layout I really do like it.

You are never going to bring a gaming laptop to class. Ever. They are too heavy, and have no battery life. You will end up leaving it in your room and taking notes on paper. Not to mention that they're a massive waste of money.

Get a nice Thinkpad. They have the best keyboard of any laptop, and are arguably the most durable of normal (non-tough) laptops due to their Magnesium-alloy body. Personally, I also think they're the best looking laptops, but that is subjective.

If you choose your Thinkpad in a smart way, it will be able to run any OS well--Vista, XP, Debian, OS X, Ubuntu, etc.

I personally am not a laptop person (I find a pdaphone much more useful), but my brother has two Thinkpads (personal and from work), and he loves them. I've used them, and they are just great. I really hate laptop keyboards, so much so that I cannot type on the Macbook (Pro)s, but I am able to type on the Thinkpads pretty comfortably.

tl;dr: Get a Thinkpad and bring your desktop to school. Why wouldn't you bring it, anyway? If it's loud, just spend a few bucks and change out all the fans in it for near-silent ones (Nexus and Yate Loon). If you have fears of it being stolen, drive a few bolts into the wall (if you can), and lock it up.

The ones i picked out are not that heavy around 6lbs and reviews say they get around 2 and a half hours on battery save mode, which is what i would use in classes if i needed to use it. ill prolly take notes on paper no matter what because i just like to.

I'm not a fan of ASUS laptops after having one die for no apparent reason.

The one I mentioned earlier gets about 2.25 to 2.5 hrs runtime for desktop type applications (word processing, etc.)

You should seriously consider a Macbook Pro if you can afford it. It is really compact (thin), light weight (6 pounds) and has an amazing battery life (4 hours for normal use). I would recommend a 15 " Macbook Pro with a 2.5 gHz processor, 4 GB RAM, 200 GB 7200 rpm hard drive with free fall sensor, and any other little things. That is by far my favorite laptop right now. A friend has one and I love it. If not, then look into the Thinkpad. I honestly don't care much for ASUS. They used to be great, but have fallen to the side recently.

You should seriously consider a Macbook Pro if you can afford it. It is really compact (thin), light weight (6 pounds) and has an amazing battery life (4 hours for normal use). I would recommend a 15 " Macbook Pro with a 2.5 gHz processor, 4 GB RAM, 200 GB 7200 rpm hard drive with free fall sensor, and any other little things. That is by far my favorite laptop right now. A friend has one and I love it.

Im looking for a laptop capable of "gaming" :lol:

but seriously im not a big fan of mac I think they are overpriced, also I dont like the the OS (played with my boss/professors last semester)

thanks for all the sugestionsm but I think im still liking the two I originally picked out more.

really just wanted everyones opinion on which would be the better value or what would get better fps in games (based on vid card, memory configuration, and resolution)

The Macbook (Pro)s are hardly thin or light. That's all marketing. They're a normal laptop.

There is absolutely no reason to get one unless you absolutely must have one, due to looks, OS X, or whatever. It's still a waste of money because you can get more power in a cheaper notebook that can run OS X natively and well.

You're going to stop carrying around a 6 lbs. laptop after a few months. Don't waste your money on a gaming laptop, you'll be disapointed. I know it's anecdotal evidence, but everyone I know that has bought a gaming laptop have been disappointed with it. They're underpowered, overpriced, heavy, have no battery life, etc.

If you must have a gaming laptop, look into Clevo. Nearly everyone rebrands Clevo.

The x61 is 2.7 lbs. and has a keyboard that is actually decent to type on, and that says a lot when you're talking about laptop keyboards. It is going to be much more usable, because, you'll actually use it.

You still haven't mentioned why you're not brining your PC. Why spend so much on it, just to leave it at home until it becomes outdated? Nearly everyone I knew in college had at least a desktop.

Edited by LivingGhost

Reasons im not taking my desktop:

Its huge, going to be stuck in a tiny room :(

My mom really wants it (desktop) lol so she will pay for most of laptop

It gets my current tiny room really hot, I actually use it as a space heater during the winter, new room will be even smaller.

I want to be able to watch my dowloaded movies when im bored and not at home.

I dont think 6lbs will bother me much i was carring around about 30lbs of books last 2 semesters.

just need to find a nice place in my backpack where it wont break.

It's a stupid idea. Build your mom a low-power $400 microATX system and pair it with a cheap/old monitor. Stop overclocking or downgrade your computer so it runs cooler. Spend the money on a real laptop that doesn't weigh 6 lbs/ and gets decent battery life.

Or forgo gaming and just get a decent laptop for $1200.