Overclocking Amd Phenom X4 9850 With Amd Overdrive On Asus M3a32-mvp D

Hey guys, I've been looking for a guide on overclocking my AMD Phenom X4 9850 with AMD Overdrive on an ASUS M3A32-MVP Deluxe/WiFi-AP But haven't found anything that was in-depth enough so I came here. You should be able to see the rest of my system specs in my profile. I have just updated bios and and overdrive to the lates versions and have tried tinkering with AOD resulting in the system freezing up everytime, so I'd appreciate your help since I'm a noob in OC. XD I tried putting the multiplier to x 15 to get to 3 GHz but it froze. do I need to raise the voltage first? And if so, how much? is there a limit in the BIOS or something that I have to raise? etc...

thx a bunch for your help!

dont use a program to overclock your phenom.

For a stable/safe result, overclock through the BIOS , so just forget about Overdrive.

And your not suppose to go straight to 3Ghz. You have to go by small increments 2.6Ghz, 2.9Ghz, from 2.9Ghz here i recommend you start going by a .5Mhz increment such as 2.95MHz, 3GHz

The 9850 BE isnt a good overclocker, most articles i have read can barely reach 3Ghz, most of Amd's 125w cpu's will have a hard time reaching a large yet stable overclock. The highest overclock iv seen on a phenom was the AMD X3 8750 that reached 3.1Ghz on xbitlabs.com

Im sure you could reach 3Ghz with that board but dont go rasing the Vcore just yet or any voltage for that matter i suggest you read up on some guides first just to have a general idea on what to tinker with (ie. HT multiplier, HT Bus, then get into the advance tweaks such as the ram dividers, or ratios, memory timings, voltages, NB and SB voltages ect)

what cooler are you using, you are taking the heatsink into consideration right?

I have a Thermaltake MaxOrb. Not the best by what I've seen in reviews but It should do the job.

Problem is I don't know much at all about overclocking so I'll need someone to explain what I need to raise apart from the multiplier.

Anyway thx for letting me know about doing everything very gradually...

My goal would be to overclock it to 3 GHz and no more but 2.8 will get me satisfied anyway XD

Edited by Gan Xodos

Here is a really good guide for overclocking the A64. Many others and myself from the street used it. I see that its now pinned in the the Overclocking and cooling section here a occ! Just take your time when overclocking! it dont matter how high you go but how staible the overclock is! Best of luck.