Best Defrag Software

bg8780

I recently had an issue with diskeeper pro 2008 so i had to uninstall it. any other options for a good defragmentation software? and is the built in defrag service of vista that bad?

there are alot of good ones out but Auslogic is probably one of the better ones....

MaximumPC test 3 of them and Diskeeper was one and it did fare so well being a paid for version...

Distrix is another one that I ahve used and works very well....

Defragler wasnt 100% in my testing but it may very well be fine...

I recently had an issue with diskeeper pro 2008 so i had to uninstall it. any other options for a good defragmentation software? and is the built in defrag service of vista that bad?

I think I would figure out what the issue was and fix it.....Diskeeper is a good defrag program. It's all I have ever used because it has always been rock solid.....if you have an issue with DK chances are you'll still have a problem with other software. I don't know what Vista uses for a defrag program but XP has always used a severely crippled version of Diskeeper. B:)

Another vote for Auslogic. I ran Defraggler and then Auslogic and Auslogic found some file that were still fragmented. Ran with Auslogic first and defraggler didn't find any.

I have been partial to Sysinternals Contig with the gui. I favor portable apps. But Auslogic is quick and it does find slight frag after Contig runs, if that means anything.

Maybe Auslogic can be made portable ... I haven't tried.

I also always use Diskeeper, currently on the 2008 Pro version for both Vista and XP. It works beautifully on both systems.

For Vista, it's VSS defrag mode is very useful to preserve shadow copies and snapshots. None of the free defraggers have it I believe.

BTW, I tried Auslogics on XP, didn't find it any better than the default XP defragger. It skips too many files that's why it seemed to be 'fast'.