What Os Are You Running? (aside From Windows If Your Dual Booting)

damian

I've been running XP since I've started building and fixing my own PCs and this was in 2003-ish, I have very little intention to turn over to Vista and I might not have to with Windows 7 so close to an earlier-than-expected release, supposedly.

Other than that I'm running YDL Linux 5.0 on my PS3 and aside from it being an utter pain in my cheeks, it's rather delightful and so incredibly simple to use when Terminal isn't involved. :closedeyes:

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@markiemrboo:

Nice uptime I've got about 75 days under my linux one right now, but I disconnected it to bump up the ram.

I run...

Slackware (Servers)

Fedora 7&8 with Freevo (Media Center and Server)

OpenSuse (Desktop 1)

Mandriva (Desktop 2)

OSX (A POS that I never use)

Windows XP x64 (Laptop)

Yeah...I like to dabble in OSs.

Glad to see there are some *nix users around here.

It's a rather minimal machine on a rather basic UPS. To be more specific, an old Celeron 1GHz, 256MB of PC133, 2x10GB RAID-1 for the OS and a 160GB and 80GB disk RAID-1 for everything else. That's an 80GB RAID volume with the other 80GB mounted as spare. Two network cards... and that's it. Oh, and a serial cable should I ever need it in emergencies. The UPS is an APC SmartUPS 700. It manages to run for about an hour and a half on battery, so that's not bad :)

Before the last reboot it managed just over 200 days I think. We had the electrician doing all sorts of stuff, power was non existent for most of the day. I haven't really touched it, on the hardware or software side of things, for at least a year now I think. It's due a clean up really, but then it's actually one of the very few things that "just works" for me, so maybe I will leave it alone to "just be" :)

Cupboard: NetBSD 3.1.0

Nice! I don't have a UPS but my router's uptime is 100% for the past year+ (basically since I built it) minus the power going out or me taking it down for a few minutes for hardware upgrades. :)

AnUnknownSource - If you're putting up a server I'd check out Fedora 8. As far as simplicity and resources go its one of the best server distros I've found. I tried Ubuntu Server for kicks, but it would barely load in my machine and after it did load the whole sudo to do anything kinda got old...FAST. Let me know if you need any help.

shattered