Watercooling Information & Suggestions

I want to get a chipset cooler and was wondering if any old block would work (such as a DangerDen maze 4?) or would I need to find a particular type for my ASUS P5K?

different chipsets use different placement of the retention holes (and sometimes MB manufactures use hole placements that differ from the reference design) so you have to make sure that the chipset block is either universal or includes the correct hold-down plate for your chipset. The differences in different models of the Maze4 block are only in the top (the tops can also be purchased separately) so just chose the model that best describes the chipset used my your board.

As for a GPU block I can't seem to tell if the 9800GT blocks will fit my GTX+ :blink: .I want a full cover block, but will I have to find a particular one to fit my card?

DD and EK do not seem to make full-cover blocks for the 9800GT; but both make blocks for the 9800GTX and 9800GX2

• 2 weeks later...
:wacko: OK now I'm looking at kits and thinking of just doing a GPU block plus chip sinks and was hoping for a little advice. Is Asetek a decent brand? In particular I am looking at this kit from SVC. As for chip sinks for the video card I liked the look of these ones from Petra's. Anybody use these yet and if so do they work well enough? I am starting to doubt my ability to pull this off without a kit first time through, but if I can figure out the order in which everything is supposed to be plumbed I think I can pull it off without one. Also I was thinking that maybe a kit would be best for my first time water cooling because of simplicity. Thanks in advance. Edited by ocmooz

Is Asetek a decent brand? In particular I am looking at this kit from SVC.

I am starting to doubt my ability to pull this off without a kit first time through, but if I can figure out the order in which everything is supposed to be plumbed I think I can pull it off without one. Also I was thinking that maybe a kit would be best for my first time water cooling because of simplicity. Thanks in advance.

I'm not too fond of Asetek; and to be honest, I don't really like kits and IMHO the only "kits" worth buying are the bundles from Petra's Tech or DangerDen. The most important thing in the loop order is that te res/T-line is right before the pump inlet to keep the pump flooded while filling/bleeding. Often the radiator is placed right before the CPU block as this ensures the best CPU temps.

As for chip sinks for the video card I liked the look of these ones from Petra's. Anybody use these yet and if so do they work well enough?

The iandh RAMsinks are supposed to be quite good and should be very sufficient for cooling the RAM.

• 4 weeks later...

After watching the video of Team finland clocking the AMD 940, ive been interested in liquid cooling, currently iam running ultra-120 extreme and at 3.8 i hit temps up to 53C. with a water cooled system, how much lower would the temps run . ive been looking around the web to investigate, ill see if i saved a test result on temps and post it.

post-66348-1235677135_thumb.jpg

post-66348-1235677180_thumb.jpg

After watching the video of Team finland clocking the AMD 940, ive been interested in liquid cooling, currently iam running ultra-120 extreme and at 3.8 i hit temps up to 53C. with a water cooled system, how much lower would the temps run . ive been looking around the web to investigate, ill see if i saved a test result on temps and post it.

I don't have the link, but I saw a test comparing the TRUE to a high end water setup and the temp was too much difference. Maybe 5C. Team Finland in their video I'm guessing using LN2 which is usually just for benching, not 24/7.

• 2 weeks later...

i have a coolermaster HAf case and a evga x58 going to classified i'm at already 4.0ghz i have a coolit elite and its good for mild overclocking. I was wondering if you guys would help me build my first watercooling system. I have a 965 and all i want to do is cool my cpu could you guys tell me whats the best parts and help me build a killer watercooling setup.

thanks for your reply

I have a evga x58 moving to the clasified i'm looking to build a custome water cooling system i have a freezone coolit elite but it only good for mild ocing i'm a 4.0 now any way i wish you guys would help me build a killer water cooling system i have a coolermaster HAf case and i just want to cool the cpu only maybe the cards later. but i just want to cool my cpu for now.

evga 965

coolit master HAf

ultra 1000 wat x-3

3 gtx 285 scc editon in tri-sli

12g of 1600 Corsair Dominators

If you where going to build a nice water cooling system help me choose the right parts. thanks guys the other guys on the other forums like evga and others just throw alot of things at you and dont really get to the point . thanks again for all your help

• 1 month later...

ok I've got a question.I'm gonna be using distilled water in my loop what a good brand name additive for prevention corrosion.Also all my parts are cooper,I don't know if that matters or not.heres the parts list with their prices from performance-pcs.com also just in case you think I should make any changes.

*Note have not bought any of this.

EK-Supreme LT (LIGHT) CPU Water Block (S 775 & 1366) - Acetal

- Fitting Size 1/2" Barb for 1/2" ID tube$49.95

EK-FC295 GTX SLI Water Block for Nvidia 295GTX

- Fitting Size 1/2" Barb for 1/2" ID tube$159.95

Swiftech MCP655™ Series 12 VDC Water Pump $79.95

Swiftech Radiator - MCR320 Quiet Power Series Triple 120 mm - Black

- Fitting Size 1/2" Barb for 1/2" ID tube$69.95

Swiftech MCRES-MICRO™ Rev. 2 Reservoir $24.95

PrimoFlex Pro LRT UV Blue Tubing -1/2in. ID X 3/4in. OD UV Blue Tubing -1/2in. ID X 3/4in. OD

12Ft for extra $ 27.00

Total:411.75

I would appreciate the help

Edited by monkey_brain33

im trying to find a block for a gtx 260 65nm and also im wondering if my current cpu block is any good.

The mounting would likely be a problem; you could use a core only GPU block as well as RAM-sinks

ok I've got a question.I'm gonna be using distilled water in my loop what a good brand name additive for prevention corrosion.Also all my parts are cooper,I don't know if that matters or not.

I would appreciate the help

If it's all copper and brass then you're fine; corrosion is primarily an issue when you have aluminum in the loop.

I just use a few drops of Biocide (PT Nuke) to to prevent algae and/or microbial growth; some people also use some sterling silver as a Biocide.