Watercooling Information & Suggestions

I'm using the HAF 932 case atm. I also have a crappy internal cooler working on the q6600 i'd like to eventually migrate over to the external RAD.

I'm considering letting go of both my 8800's and going with a 280 GTX but haven't made up my mind. I plan of doing VGA liquid either way. Full cover is probably what i will do too.

Thanks for the advice ^_^

Great info!

I have a Thermaltake Kandalf. It has a waterblock and a 360mm three fan radiator. Cost a lot but it does a good job.

I added a Dangerden 8800GTX and the video card dropped from about 90 degrees to about 50 to 60.

The cpu is currently at 36 degrees. The plastic top of the cpu cooler block was bent and it cracked. I had to manufacture

an aluminium top. Hope it lasts.

It is a 3/8 inch and it is better than 1/4. 1/4 slows the flow and more heat stays in the block.

I see from your mention of Petra that there is a manufacturer in Australia. Never heard of them. I'll have to see if I can track them

down.

And the thermaltake pumps are crap. In 2 years I'm on my 3rd pump with a spare on hand. Good pumps don't seem to be stocked in Aussie.

Sorry to ramble on but should mention that T/T aren't all bad.

I have a second 8800GTX and would like to put a waterblock on it and go SLI. I need $$$$$$!

The plastic top of the cpu cooler block was bent and it cracked. I had to manufacture

an aluminium top.

I would not use aluminum for any component in my cooling loop. When Copper/Brass and Aluminum components are used in the same loop, it leads to galvanic corrosion; even the use of corrosion inhibitors will not prevent this, it merely slows down the process.

• 2 weeks later...

Copper is the best resources of cooling water. Generally cooler is made by plastic or fiber, because it gives cooling of water and also water not vapor out side. It is also used in made up of radiator and it is able to extract the heat of the CPU from the water.

---------------------------------

Scott Lee

New Cars

Great info!

I have a Thermaltake Kandalf. It has a waterblock and a 360mm three fan radiator. Cost a lot but it does a good job.

I added a Dangerden 8800GTX and the video card dropped from about 90 degrees to about 50 to 60.

The cpu is currently at 36 degrees. The plastic top of the cpu cooler block was bent and it cracked. I had to manufacture

an aluminium top. Hope it lasts.

It is a 3/8 inch and it is better than 1/4. 1/4 slows the flow and more heat stays in the block.

I see from your mention of Petra that there is a manufacturer in Australia. Never heard of them. I'll have to see if I can track them

down.

And the thermaltake pumps are crap. In 2 years I'm on my 3rd pump with a spare on hand. Good pumps don't seem to be stocked in Aussie.

Sorry to ramble on but should mention that T/T aren't all bad.

I have a second 8800GTX and would like to put a waterblock on it and go SLI. I need $$$$$$!

Sounds like the Thermaltake Kandalf is great after if you replace the pump with a different one, replace the cpu block, replace the hoses to something bigger than 1/4", of course there radiators are crap also so may as well replace it also, hmm I wonder what is the reason to buy it if I have to replace everything?

Sounds like the Thermaltake Kandalf is great after if you replace the pump with a different one, replace the cpu block, replace the hoses to something bigger than 1/4", of course there radiators are crap also so may as well replace it also, hmm I wonder what is the reason to buy it if I have to replace everything?

I guess some people like the case itself because it's "designed" for watercooling; but I do not think it's cost effective to buy it just to turn around and replace their crappy WC with quality gear. Perhaps TT should offer the case without their WC stuff pre-installed

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, what about Cooler Master for a brand? I think they're pretty decent brand in a lot of things, not to sure when it comes to water cooling though.

Also, I'm surprised I don't see newegg on the website list. Anything particular about them?

Thx.

Hey, what about Cooler Master for a brand? I think they're pretty decent brand in a lot of things, not to sure when it comes to water cooling though.

Also, I'm surprised I don't see newegg on the website list. Anything particular about them?

Thx.

I'd avoid Coolermaster WC components.

I guess I didn't add Newegg to the list because about the only decent quality WC they sell are packaged kits made by Swiftech; so not nearly the same selection or the ability to cherry-pick components as with other stores catering to watercoolers.

thanks i appreciate the help on the quality component, is there any way to water cool ram?

For the most part watercooling the RAM does not offer any tangible performance gains and merely adds restriction to the loop. Also, a lot of the RAM blocks that are on the market are aluminum, which is just one more reason to avoid tham as that's just asking for galvanic corrosion.

:thumbs-up: A big thanks to you Radodrill! I have been planning on going to water cooling and now with the guidance you have given I am well on my way to drawing up a decent system. Now I know where I can stick a 240 rad in my tiny mid tower and what brands are good etc. :lol: I just had a couple of questions though. I want to get a chipset cooler and was wondering if any old block would work (such as a DangerDen maze 4?) or would I need to find a particular type for my ASUS P5K? As for a GPU block I can't seem to tell if the 9800GT blocks will fit my GTX+ :blink: .I want a full cover block, but will I have to find a particular one to fit my card? No hurry on a reply as I am going to take this slow (and save up some dough) and drag it out over about 6 months or so. Thanks again in advance.

Edited by ocmooz