Future Dual Xeon Server Build

ReelFiles

Here are the parts I have so far:

2x Xeon 2.4GHz SL6VL 2400DP 512MB 533 CPU

2x 1GB HP PC3200 DDR CL3 ECC server RAM

1x 80GB Seagate IDE HDD (might go SATA or SCSI)

4x 250GB Maxtor IDE HDDs (maybe 2x 250GB RAID1 [backup], 1x 250GB [storage] and 1 x 250GB [spare backup])

I have a few standard ATX cases, the 'nicest' one is a CoolerMaster WaveMaster, next would be CoolerMaster Centurion and then some ElCheapo brand cases.

Things I am definitely going to need:

1x Dual socket 604 motherboard that supports my RAM

2x Socket 604 CPU coolers (want copper, but cheap)

1x PSU (maybe a redundant one, no clue as to how many Watts)

Things I might need:

1x IDE RAID card (if I don't get a SATA or SCSI Drive [onboard SATA or SCSI would be sweet but not necessary])

1x New system HDD (maybe two small SCSI drives in RAID1?$?)

1x PCI-X GPU (if it doesn't have onboard or AGP (I have two spare ATI AGP cards, not sure what model)

1x Case (if it's an extended ATX board)

Keep in mind I am not Rockefeller, so recommend me the cheapest that isn't crap. :P Also I will have to buy it piece by piece like I do with all my rigs.

I wouldn't be surprised if I forgot something obvious, I usually do so help a brother out ;)

Edit:

I knew I was forgetting something

I need an OS recommendation. I think my only constraint is that I want it to be Windows based.

Probably mostly file sharing, I was thinking about AD, DHCP and DNS but I am not sure if I really have the need for that or if I am just creating more work for myself with no gain. On the other hand it would be a nice project. :)

Probably mostly file sharing, I was thinking about AD, DHCP and DNS but I am not sure if I really have the need for that or if I am just creating more work for myself with no gain. On the other hand it would be a nice project. :)

AFAIK that list points pretty much to a server OS (no XP) - have a look at Windows Small Business Server 2003 which can be had for under $600.

Linux which is free FTW. ;)
I need an OS recommendation. I think my only constraint is that I want it to be Windows based.

He wants to stay with Windows.

yea in a home network there would be no real need for AD especially, but if you just wanted it for learning and playing purposes it is nice. I would agree with Nemo on the SBS 2003 suggestion for OS.

And how exactly does that need dual CPU's and 2 gigs of ram?

It doesn't need a dual socket board and 2GB of RAM, but I got them for free, so I might as well use them :P

As of now I am leaning toward S2008 or Windows Home Server, but I heard the latter still had quirks. I might even consider Linux, considering I am fairly confident in my Linux skills. The software is the minor problem though, I was more concerned about hardware.

It doesn't need a dual socket board and 2GB of RAM, but I got them for free, so I might as well use them :P

As of now I am leaning toward S2008 or Windows Home Server, but I heard the latter still had quirks. I might even consider Linux, considering I am fairly confident in my Linux skills. The software is the minor problem though, I was more concerned about hardware.

Windows Home Server has some issues with file corruption that probably won't be fixed until sometime next month from what I've read. Also, if I remember correctly, it does not natively support any form of RAID, unless that changed from some of the early Beta releases.