ReelFiles

Xeon Processor 2400dp - Bent Pins

I uploaded some Pics of this CPU here. I tried to get a nice shot from different angles, but that's about as good as a $50 cam would do. Could you guys have a look and see if I should just try popping it in the socket, when I buy the board for them (got 2 of them but only 1 messed up) or if the pins are too messed up for that. I could really use somebody to help me with this, since I am slowly going blind and can't afford glasses :/ I used to always fix my own bent pins, but now when I stare at them for more than 2 or 3 mins I get dizzy and start getting a headache, then my eyes lose focus.. Anyways, I'd be willing to pay shipping (next week broke now) both ways if somebody could spare a few minutes, since it really isn't all too badly screwed up.

I uploaded some Pics of this CPU here. I tried to get a nice shot from different angles, but that's about as good as a $50 cam would do. Could you guys have a look and see if I should just try popping it in the socket, when I buy the board for them (got 2 of them but only 1 messed up) or if the pins are too messed up for that. I could really use somebody to help me with this, since I am slowly going blind and can't afford glasses :/ I used to always fix my own bent pins, but now when I stare at them for more than 2 or 3 mins I get dizzy and start getting a headache, then my eyes lose focus.. Anyways, I'd be willing to pay shipping (next week broke now) both ways if somebody could spare a few minutes, since it really isn't all too badly screwed up.

dude....

those are easy enough to do....have the wifey help you...

grab her mega-lo-Mart hair dryer and heat up the pins to warmer than room temp...just not hot but as warm as you can stand...this will make the pins more flexible so they wont just break off...

then use a credit/debit card and straighten them....

since your blind as a bat then have the wife do it while you hold it...easy as pie man....

I have had luck, the 1 time that i had to fix ~6 pins, with a 0.5mm mechanical pencil. Took all the lead out, and slid the end over the pin. Fit like a glove. Was pretty easy to straighten them out. Heating them up may be a plan, that was the one thing i was worried about the most...the pins just snapping off.

Shouldn't be to hard to straighten up under a magnification lamp. Have you got one of those handy? Kinda like one of these.

Doc, Wifey has refused me with that in the past, also she's blind too. :P

EllisD, that would be fine if I could see the pins. hehe. I'll give that a shot when my sight clears up a bit, thanks.

Devil, I tried that at work but the result is the same if not worse, I just can't focus on it long enough to fix it.

I managed to get some of them somewhat straight before I took those pics, so maybe I'll just have to fix it a pin at a time between resting my eyes.

Thanks for your input guys, they are all great ideas. Maybe I'll just wait until I buy new glasses then straighten the pins with a mechanical pencil under the magnification lamp at work... then I'll have Wifey help me with something else :P

Doc, Wifey has refused me with that in the past, also she's blind too. :P

EllisD, that would be fine if I could see the pins. hehe. I'll give that a shot when my sight clears up a bit, thanks.

Devil, I tried that at work but the result is the same if not worse, I just can't focus on it long enough to fix it.

I managed to get some of them somewhat straight before I took those pics, so maybe I'll just have to fix it a pin at a time between resting my eyes.

Thanks for your input guys, they are all great ideas. Maybe I'll just wait until I buy new glasses then straighten the pins with a mechanical pencil under the magnification lamp at work... then I'll have Wifey help me with something else :P

if not send it to me and I will hook you up and ship it back...lol

just slip it in the water-cooling stuff...

Otherwise if you're in central NC let me know :) I've done my fair share of pin fixes in the past. :)

/me remembers the 477 P4, the skt 752 3200+, the 2.4P4 that was stepped on...etc.

Sweet, I am actually in Cary, by Raleigh-Durham area, if you are familiar with that area. :)

another way i found a bit like the credit card trick was to get the right size sewing needle and kind just "run" it down between the pins once in each channel then criss cross fashion if you get what i mean

Sweet, I am actually in Cary, by Raleigh-Durham area, if you are familiar with that area. :)

I'm usualy over that way once or twice a year :lol:

Personally I'm over just south of High Point.

Yeah that's what I was doing, but some of them are too bent for that trick, thanks for the tip though.