I'm running a 8800GTS640MB in my spare gaming rig. Need some opinions. Never been a big fan of SLI but I could pick up another 8800GTS640MB cheap and go SLI

or sell the 8800GTS640MB I have and pick up a 8800GTX and run single VC.

I'm running a 8800GTS640MB in my spare gaming rig. Need some opinions. Never been a big fan of SLI but I could pick up another 8800GTS640MB cheap and go SLI

or sell the 8800GTS640MB I have and pick up a 8800GTX and run single VC.

Personal friend of mine has two 8800gts. One stays in a drawer the he is trying to sell.

SLI gives him a ton of problems, and when it actually does work he gets only around 10% more performance (with an E6750 @ 3.2ghz, so he is not horribly cpu bound). He removed the second card because his computer hard locks when loading UT3 and a few other games with SLI enabled. With just one card he runs them fine...I told him it is most likely driver problems but he is tired of reinstalling drivers and tweaking settings and has had it with SLI.

I have only had three personal experiences with SLI(his pc, and two different paid builds for friends), but none worked without any complaints. Crossfire is far from perfect as well, but is a much more efficient and elegant dual card solution IMO. At least it works more often then not :lol:.

At this point I would either sell the gts and get a 9800gtx or wait out for the 9900 series cards which will finally use a really new core. Who knows, maybe you will find the price:performance of the 4870X2 worth going for as well.

I'm currently running a pair of 8800 GTXs and up till now have not had any issues with them running in SLI.

Running a single card is certainly easier. You might be able to sell the old card and buy an 8800 GTX for less out of pocket than what a second 8800GTS640 would cost.

running 8800 SLI on the NF4 SLI-DR will be tricky as you only have one slot space between them... it's basically impossible on stock air because the 2nd card chokes the 1st card... Thermalright HR-03 (Plus?) could work with the primary card's heatsink flipped up to the top-side of the card... the other alternative is watercooling, which is probably more trouble than it's worth for running 8800SLI on a 165

running 8800 SLI on the NF4 SLI-DR will be tricky as you only have one slot space between them... it's basically impossible on stock air because the 2nd card chokes the 1st card... Thermalright HR-03 (Plus?) could work with the primary card's heatsink flipped up to the top-side of the card... the other alternative is watercooling, which is probably more trouble than it's worth for running 8800SLI on a 165

Great points. Adding a second VC block for cooling would be simple enough. Your second point is the real gotcha, can the 165 opteron even @ 2.7+ Ghz. handle the 2x 8800GTS or for that matter could it handle a single 8800GTX.

Edited by catkicker

sure it could handle it... but at 2.7-2.8 GHz, it is about equivalent to an E6600 @ 2.4 GHz... that's all

With the same graphics card clocks my 3d2k5 score jumped 9 thousand points coming from an opty at 2.95ghz. Now, my opty was the single core venus variant, but those 8800gts's are quicker then my x1900xts as well, so it will still be even more severly cpu limited.

I really think you will not see much benefit.

or theres the crazy idea of not doing anything, and leaving ur setup as is :)

What are you crazy! Your suggesting I don't touch a great performing spare gaming computer. :bah:

What are you crazy! Your suggesting I don't touch a great performing spare gaming computer. :bah:

Very true, a real man wants "More Power"; just ask Tim "The Tool Man" Taylor :P

No he means that the 8800gts 640MB card is still a good card and selling it for the 8800gtx wont be worth the time, and effort. (unless you know a guy that is willing to do it in the next day or so)

still just keep your 8800gts and wait for the new GT200 cards to come out or what ever the blast there called.