Personal Protection

Fueler

If you're getting a taser, I'd recommend learning some martial arts that deal with joint and wristlocks, such as Hapkido or Aikido. Most people can get back up pretty easily just a few seconds after being tased, and if they're dumb enough to try that, chances are they won't be that afraid of a gun. However, I have yet to see any untrained civillian get themselves out of a good lock. That and arm locks HURT.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You want a gun that will make anyone change their pants? Check out a .454 casull;

My father bought one about 5 years ago, and the first time i shot it, i felt like someone hit me in the hand with a hammer.

Quite the firearm, not that i think anyone would need in for protection, but if you want to split a tree in two, it makes a hell of a best friend.

As far as a house, the most unmistakable sound a robber can hear is that of a 12 gauge pump shotgun.

I have actually owned two weapons for quite a while but I didn't consider either one a good weapon for defense. The only reason I had them was they were left to me by my grandfather in his will. One was a Winchester bolt action 22 rifle that my grandfather owned his entire life and I had spend many a day out squirrel hunting with him. It is quite old and still as fine a 22 rifle as you can buy. The other gun is a nickel plated snubnosed .38 Smith & Wesson with deer antler handles and a reworked dangerously easy to fire hair trigger when the hammer is cocked. The problem I had with this gun is the barrel is so short that unless I was holding it to somebodies head I would miss with it. I took it to the gun range many times and hitting a target just fifteen feet away was an exercise in futility. Under duress it would worthless. :(

As far as a house, the most unmistakable sound a robber can hear is that of a 12 gauge pump shotgun.

:withstupid: Just recently picked up a 12 ga. Mossberg 500 w/18.5 in. barrel, rifle stock and pistol-grip. Needless to say, hands down the most impressive and desireable close-in defense weapon, period. Hell, give me a shorter barrel and I'd be even happier. After a couple hundred rounds with the pistol grip I must say if held correctly the recoil is easily controlled, making for an awesome and... persuasive firearm.

My brother has a 12 guage shotgun....he says the problem with it is his wife gets a little edgy when he keeps it under his pillow ....not to mention it's a bit uncomfortable :lol: ok that's a stretch :lol:

I was thinking of some kind of holster mounted to the back side of the head board of my bed.....any other ideas out there of where to keep it close but safe.

On to answer the original question, I've fired several Glock22's of my cop buddies in VA, Very tight very very accurate firearm. Once you learn the gun the recoil is extremly handleable, I grouped 15 in a 3" pattern from 40' in 11 seconds, I've been shooting for a very long time though, (14 years or so)

One very excelent handgun is a .380, fairly accurate, medium cal, unobtrusive size (midframed alot of them are), the Glock19 is also a GREAT firearm, It's a toss up with the police where I am from in VA, About hald and half though, Glock22 and Glock19 (9mm)

Despite what people may think if 22 calibers for personal protection they are actually quite effecient. Personally when I'm on the road traveling I don't pay for hotels I use rest areas. And I carry a Beretta EL 950 BS .22S, It's very small, yet packs a huge punch for being a short .22. The bullet velocity will puncture bone but only once, After that it richochets off bones. so imagine this, I shot you in the chest, it goes through the breast plate, then richochets back and forth aginst your ribs causing some of the most massive damage conceiveable,

i will never use anything but my .45 ACP for personal protection.

it is one sidearm that is guaranteed to knock down an assailant on the first shot.

this allows my wife, who is a very good shot, to be certain that if a second shot is needed...

her target will be prone on the ground.

with proper ammo it will not exit the human body thus leaving all that devastating shock in the target.

even a bullet proof vest will not protect someone from a point blank .45 ACP.

the trauma behind the vest will definitely kill them even though the bullet is laying on the ground.

i do keep an 835 Mosberg in the house just in case...

And Americans wonder why we're seen as barbaric by other countries... using a gun for intimidation is one thing, but using a .45 as the first line of defense? I guess being humane is going out of style.

The problem isn't that I would not like to be humane (I've already said I hope I never half to use it as defense) the problem in America is that .....if you don't kill the SOB that broke into your house, threatening you and your family....there is at least a 99% chance that the intruder will SUE YOU!!!!. :angry2:

And Americans wonder why we're seen as barbaric by other countries... using a gun for intimidation is one thing, but using a .45 as the first line of defense? I guess being humane is going out of style.

Kamikaze, I don't agree with that. The problem with some smaller caliber rounds is that they lack sufficient stopping power - aka bullet energy. Bullet energy is a simple mathematical formula of mass*acceleration.

The last thing you want to do with a 6'5" 260lb home intruder strung out on (insert drug of choice here) is shoot him and do nothing more than piss him off without disabling or causing a fatality. There is a drawback to using larger and higher velocity calibers however. That comes in the form of over-penetration - meaning that at close range you might actually shoot through the perpetrator and your bullet could end causing collateral damage to property or even another innocent person. Personally I think that .357, .40, .45 and even 9mm with hollow point loads are all excellent choices for a home protection pistol. .22 is ok for backup or travel purposes.

I'd still agree with what many have already posted here. The best home protection weapon is a shotgun in either 12 or 20 gauge. I've got a Mossburg 500 SP with the 18 1/2 barrel and it is perfect for a first line of defense. With your heart pounding, adrenaline flowing and getting ready to crap in your pants, some people may find it hard to concentrate well enough in a home intruder situation to properly aim and place the first shot, especially if it is dark. The Mossburg takes some of the guess work out of it because of the pattern created by the buckshot. i.e. you don't have to have a perfect aim to stop and disable the intruder.

IMHO opinion it isn't barbaric to use any firearm to disable or cause a fatality to someone that is breaking into your home, trying to car-jack you or worse. You never know what the intention of the criminal truly is until the crime has already been committed. Unfortunately by then, sometimes it's too late.