Capo

Best Temp Monitoring Program?

I'm sure this has been mentioned 100 times here so forgive me, but what all temp monitoring programs do you all find to be "the best?" I have one I have been using but I'm curious what all you guys use.

Thanks in advance.

I use HWmonitor & Coretemp

I use HW monitor to easily see the max/peak temps if i was gone (folding, bench, stability)

also gives temps for HDD, cputin , system, yatta.

however i use 2 to make sure they arent giving me different readings, i load HWmonitor @ startup and now and then double check coretemp to make sure its reading correctly...

i used to use everest, but its bulky and kinda error-filled compared to the other too

i used to use everest, but its bulky and kinda error-filled compared to the other too

When minimized to the system tray Everest has a small footprint. Any actual errors or incompatibilities are fixed by Fiery almost immediately when posted in the forum.

it uses over 17mb for me minimized.. thats more than my vista explorer.exe, hwmonitor up is like 2mb.. i mean either one isnt really a drag, but i remember back when ppl would whine abouthow winamp used so much mem.. idk i guess if your using 256mb ram then well, get a new computer haha..

either way

those 3 programs i dont see what else you'd need, howrever i give it props, i test my memory bandwidth and such with everest.. so dont think i dont love that program.. i just like a lil window sometimes

I'm a speedfan person myself. I highly recommend it.

Edited by Crow47

RealTemp is very handy, gives you max and min temps of your cores in case you have to step away for a while and your temps spike without you knowing.

I'm a Big Everest fan as well. Fiery is always working on it.

It really is the best and that's why it is not free.

Tons of Info. A "must have" as far as I am concerned.

http://www.lavalys.com

I do use RealTemp as it was the only prog that made sense with the 45nm chips.

http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/

Edited by soundx98

I still to this day use Motherboard Monitor 5 :)

Too bad it seems to have lost its relavence nowadays...

When my server (only recent intel rig) had windows on it, I used RealTemp & Everest.

I'm sure this has been mentioned 100 times here so forgive me, but what all temp monitoring programs do you all find to be "the best?"

There is always an interesting debate about CoreTemp vs Realtemp. The interesting thing is that even though they display something like a 5 degree C difference, they are both right (or as right as their authors can guess). Coretemp assumes TJMax at 100 C and Realtemp assumes TJMax at 95 C. They both display an identical delta to TJMax, so they are both accurate (or at least as accurate as the authors do their math).

INTEL doesn't tell anyone exactly how to do the math because it is part of their trade secrets, so making a monitoring program requires a bit of a scientist to experiment with the ideas a bit. Furthermore, apparently the core temp sensors were never designed to generate any sort of real temperature reading, and they are not designed to be 100% accurate, either. All they are supposed to do is help with the thermal management and I've read that the sensors can have a +- 5 C degree of accuracy involved in their operation for them to do what they are designed to do.

Personally, I think Realtemp is probably the one that is farthest from displaying an accurate temperature. The only reason I think this is that it often shows me at least one core below my ambient temperature and I understand enough about heat transfer and physics to be pretty sure an air cooler can't actually cool my chip even quite down to ambient let alone below ambient. However, I suppose the below ambient reading could be attributed to the inaccurate nature of the sensors, so I that leaves the possibility that my opinion is wrong and that Realtemp is displaying the closest to what it is being told (plus the math). - I haven't really been keeping bookmarks on the topic, but I've read a few pages about this since a week or so ago when someone here on this forum mentioned to me some information about the inaccuracy of the INTEL core temp sensors. Without INTEL coughing up a whole lot of theory and mathematical formulas, I'm afraid that it is one guys theory versus the other guys theory when it comes to which is right about the temperature to display. Luckily, they both calculate delta to TJMax the same, so if you pay attention to how much room in degrees is in between your current settings/load and melting down your t junction, then it really doesn't matter much what either of the authors thinks is the "right" temperature to show you.

I have to wonder if the engineers working for the board manufacturers like ASus and Gigabyte might be more privy to this sort of information than other people are. My board only shows a single temperature in the BIOS and not 4 separate temps for my cores. That number with the system idling in the BIOS is usually within a degree of what my warmest core shows in Coretemp when idling in Windows. I honestly don't know if my board has some sort of a thermal monitor for the socket or if it is taking some reading from my chip. That might be worth exploring more.