Ok, I've been out of the game for quite some time. As you can see from my sig that was the last thing I built and still use. I want to build a new rig just as nice as this one was back when I built it. I know intel is the way to go now but I'm kind of clueless when it comes to intell. I just would like to know if I could get some advice on a best bang for the buck pure gaming rig.

thanks in advance, this forum rocks!!!

Me

Guest KrankyOldLady
Ok, I've been out of the game for quite some time. As you can see from my sig that was the last thing I built and still use. I want to build a new rig just as nice as this one was back when I built it. I know intel is the way to go now but I'm kind of clueless when it comes to intell. I just would like to know if I could get some advice on a best bang for the buck pure gaming rig.

thanks in advance, this forum rocks!!!

Me

In my sig is an intel setup wich for me works great, and im def. bang for my buck...kids and all.

Although im not sure if its to low for what you want:)

What is your budget? Also, what wattage is that Silverstone Zeus PSU, cause those are real nice PSUs! If it has enough watts, you can just take that over to your new rig :)

I agree, it depends on the budget. If you like, you can check out THIS THREAD about the rig I am planning to build. Looks like we are in a similar situation. For my particular budget size, this is my choice:

1. GIGABYTE GA-X48-DS4 LGA 775 Motherboard

2. Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz

3. 2x crossfire mode GIGABYTE GV-RX387512H Radeon HD 3870 512MB

4. Mushkin REDLINE 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000)

5. 2x Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 250GB -- RAID 0

6. CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W

7. Thermalright Ultra-120_extreme

Just a thought :ph34r:

I think hanging on a little while longer on the GPU front may be a wise decision. With ATi's offerings supposedly around the corner (and maybe nVidias shortly after), and with the pricepoints they are trying to hit, you could end up with a lot more card for your money.

I think hanging on a little while longer on the GPU front may be a wise decision. With ATi's offerings supposedly around the corner (and maybe nVidias shortly after), and with the pricepoints they are trying to hit, you could end up with a lot more card for your money.

Ask yourself the following questions so it can be narrowed:

Do you want SLI (and are willing to pay an extra $100 or so for just the capability)?

If yes, you can only use Nvidia chipsets.

Do you want crossfire (and are willing to pay more for it)?

If yes, you can use the x38/x48 and I think the nvidia chipsets too (not sure, don't shoot the messenger, or at least you can run 1)

Do you want on-board Raid?

Do you want firewire/e-sata? (was like extra $40 on the non-sli/non-crossfire raid gigabyte boards (ds3r-ds4-ds3p))

Are you planning on using a quad or dual core?

If dual, E8400 or similar (45mn)

If quad, price-performance (and usually a good OCer) = Q6600 (65nm) ~$200

If quad and you want 45nm (seems to be a ~10% improvement clock for clock over the q6600 - i read this somewhere, might be wrong ect.) then you should grab a Q9450 ~300 at microcenter if they still have them

45 or 65nm?

Edited by Phalanx

from a budget view if you kept parts of your current rig, you can pick up a Gigabyte P35 for a hundo, E8400 or Xeon 3110 for around 2 bills, and some RAM for less than 50 bucks and you're flyin along at 4GHz even using the stock heatsink.

Save some more dough up and get the Video Card Du Jour in a month or so.

Go for it. New builds are awesome.

Edited by soundx98

Ask yourself the following questions so it can be narrowed:

Do you want SLI (and are willing to pay an extra $100 or so for just the capability)?

If yes, you can only use Nvidia chipsets.

Do you want crossfire (and are willing to pay more for it)?

If yes, you can use the x38/x48 and I think the nvidia chipsets too (not sure, don't shoot the messenger, or at least you can run 1)

Do you want on-board Raid?

Do you want firewire/e-sata? (was like extra $40 on the non-sli/non-crossfire raid gigabyte boards (ds3r-ds4-ds3p))

Are you planning on using a quad or dual core?

If dual, E8400 or similar (45mn)

If quad, price-performance (and usually a good OCer) = Q6600 (65nm) ~$200

If quad and you want 45nm (seems to be a ~10% improvement clock for clock over the q6600 - i read this somewhere, might be wrong ect.) then you should grab a Q9450 ~300 at microcenter if they still have them

45 or 65nm?

Too bad we couldnt do the same as HP.... the Blackbirds use a nVidia board with ATI cards in crossfire in some cases....they do have the drivers for it also....;)