Putting Down Animals

Take comfort in knowing that she/he isn't hurting anymore. I'm sorry for your loss. I actually lost a few baby goats myself to health issues and other odd accidents. I won't even go into the other animals that i've lost. You do toughen up over time. It will and should always hurt though. If it completely stops bothering you then there's something wrong.

hmmmm...Being the heartless bastard that I am I probably shouldn't post in this thread, but ah why the heck not. :)

Do what I would do: Bring up another goat, step back 20 yards and try again. :lol:

Play some GTA to soften the second emotional blow

-Jack Thompson

I apologise, but I misread this thread.

I thought it was going to be directed at me for calling our dogs names like "Stupid", "Pig-dog", "Pathetic" and "Smelly". I can think of worse put-downs, but not in a family forum.

Otherwise, it sucks to lose animals, but that's life I'm afraid. Family members are even worse.

Just think about how many you have saved, I saved one from a twin birth. The mother had 2 and left the first one there with the sack on to die. I went out and took the sack off of it and my niece raised it with a bottle because the mother would not have anything to do with it, now we have a pet goat....

If it completely stops bothering you then there's something wrong.

*Pokes self* I don't think there's anything wrong here...

Little less attachment to the goat next time? Sure it sucks, but hey, you do what you must. Just make it as painless as possible and go buy more goats :)

We've actually got one around here I keep threating to shoot. It's kinda hard to keep here in a box with a top. much less a fence. Yesteday she jumped a 9ft wall in the barn...But that's ok, Wed she's going to the sale to become Mexican burger. :lol:

Thanks for the advice everyone. Fortunately the goat didn't feel anything. The first shot I fired, while it didn't completely do the job, took care of about 1/4th of her head, and fractured the rest. The second shot was for my own comfort really, and it took care of the rest. I wasn't sure of how quickly she had died last night, as I didn't care to look down at her. But I do feel better knowing that she didn't suffer.

Thanks for the advice everyone. Fortunately the goat didn't feel anything. The first shot I fired, while it didn't completely do the job, took care of about 1/4th of her head, and fractured the rest. The second shot was for my own comfort really, and it took care of the rest. I wasn't sure of how quickly she had died last night, as I didn't care to look down at her. But I do feel better knowing that she didn't suffer.

you got more guts than I do....

Around X-Mas time we had to put down my dog....I had a Big ole' Black Lab and he was 16 human years old and he had a displaced hip and found he had a form of cancer...

beings he was the all time best dog ever I refused to let him suffer with treatment....He never, ever showed signs of pain nor did he get angry when he didnt feel good...he just didnt get around like he did a week prior...

The day I noticed his hip was out I had the wife take him to the vet as I had a feeling something was wrong...I got the news about an hour later and I had to make the worst decision ever...

I was the one person responsible whether he came home or not...

I decided to let him live down his legacy and had the vet put him down...I still to this day get choked up about him as he was a big part of my life and he was there when no one else was...he lasted longer than most of the woman in my life and was a very loyal pet...

that was indeed the 2nd hardest thing I've had to do in my life involving another life....the 1st was being there when we pull the plug on my uncle just a short year prior....never again man....

No matter what the animal, a family member is a family member. You did the right thing thats all there is to it. feel better dude

Edited by Branjo

I have a lab also and when her time comes I'm not sure how I'll hold up. She has been through two long term relationships including the one I bought my house with. She has been the one constant in my life. I'll demand that she die at my home when the day comes. Not on a lab table at the vets office.