What Cpu Heatsink Should I Use???

If by rebadged you mean its a stand up cooler with HDT then I suppose yeah lol but it is hardly a Xigmatek with OCZ written on it either.

I mean it is manufactured by Xigmatek and the only difference is the v in the back of the fins. OCZ buys from Xigmatek.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article818-page1.html

" Xigmatek appears to make and sell these products to other brands. For example, the Kingwin Revolution is identical to Xigmatek's HDT-963, and the OCZ Vendetta is also very similar. OCZ's promotional material about the Vendetta states, "Using a distinctive, highly efficient heat pipe and fin design developed by Xigmatek..." which makes it clear that Xigmatek is the manufacturer."

I've compared a Vendetta 2 to my S1283, and I can't have a different opinion than it is the same cooler with the back of the fins cut into a "V" shape rather than straight... right down to the rubber fan mounts and the screw-on brackets for the push pin mounting.

EDIT: Here is another statement about it being "designed and licensed by Xigmatek" http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/488 .

Edited by six

To be honest I didn't know they actually "made" the things, I knew the initial design was theirs, and looking at the base and the heatpipes, its freaking identical lol.

That really isn't the point im trying to make though. The only difference isn't just the V in the back,

the fin design is completely different, they are not flat, there is a large dent in the center of that V shape running down all the fins that disrupts the airflow and also adds to surface area, the small dimples that cover the face of all the fins adds to the turbulence of airflow which is a very good thing for cooling. I wouldn't have considered Xigmatek up until a few weeks ago cause I have never used there stuff.

Since I bought the cooler and the PSU in my sig at the same time, I think they definitely have their finger on the pulse of the enthusiast market. Im sure when one company hits on the best design they can pimp it out to other companies with subtle differences, I do think these subtle differences are an improvement though. I will say however I hated the push pins, I think that was a rather cheap solution and they were a PITA trying to snap in, I will probably get a TR bolt thru kit soon and most probably lap the base too.

Your motherboard still has to be taken out to install it as having large hands I couldn't get them down the sides to push in the pins without stressing the contact area, and the way the fan is attached is nice but again more pressure is put on the contact between the CPU and heatpipes no way should this be done "in case" like they said it could. I would have been happier with the normal fan clips and 2 rubber strips for the edges of the fan. I live in Illinois and the summers are hot and humid as hell so the price wasn't my biggest concern (to a point) I just needed something that was considered the latest and best at the time.

To be honest I didn't know they actually "made" the things, I knew the initial design was theirs, and looking at the base and the heatpipes, its freaking identical lol.

That really isn't the point im trying to make though. The only difference isn't just the V in the back,

the fin design is completely different, they are not flat, there is a large dent in the center of that V shape running down all the fins that disrupts the airflow and also adds to surface area, the small dimples that cover the face of all the fins adds to the turbulence of airflow which is a very good thing for cooling. I wouldn't have considered Xigmatek up until a few weeks ago cause I have never used there stuff.

Since I bought the cooler and the PSU in my sig at the same time, I think they definitely have their finger on the pulse of the enthusiast market. Im sure when one company hits on the best design they can pimp it out to other companies with subtle differences, I do think these subtle differences are an improvement though. I will say however I hated the push pins, I think that was a rather cheap solution and they were a PITA trying to snap in, I will probably get a TR bolt thru kit soon and most probably lap the base too.

Your motherboard still has to be taken out to install it as having large hands I couldn't get them down the sides to push in the pins without stressing the contact area, and the way the fan is attached is nice but again more pressure is put on the contact between the CPU and heatpipes no way should this be done "in case" like they said it could. I would have been happier with the normal fan clips and 2 rubber strips for the edges of the fan. I live in Illinois and the summers are hot and humid as hell so the price wasn't my biggest concern (to a point) I just needed something that was considered the latest and best at the time.

Xigmatek PSUs are made by the same OEM as the ToughPowers, so they are decent psus for the price. Manufacturer name is Channel Wall or Channel Well or somethin...

Again, they are good bang for buck for not totally top tier.

Nothing wrong with a good buy, especially if you're getting a performance part that performs on par with brand name stuff. If I were spending my own money, I'd still spend a few extra dollars and spring for the OCZ branded unit though because of outstanding customer support and warranty service. Not to say that Xigmatek doesn't offer the same. I just don't have any personal experience with them. In the end it's hard to put a price on service and past experiences though.

On the subject of who makes what - it's kind of hard to tell anymore with the global market place. I'm sure both units are manufactured in a factory offshore somewhere. That same factory might be churning out the same exact piece of hardware for 1/2 dozen or more brands. Someone owns the design and patent (in this case sounds like Xigmatek). But from there each brand is free to tweak or differentiate their own models as their contractual agreements allow.

Branjo, let us know how the Xigmatek unit fares up against the OCZ branded unit.

Thanks.

Edited by wevsspot

I will say however I hated the push pins, I think that was a rather cheap solution and they were a PITA trying to snap in, I will probably get a TR bolt thru kit soon...

I tore a fan mount on mine and emailed Xigmatek. they not only sent me a handful of fan mounts, but they also had me fill out a form, mail in my UPC, and in return, they gave me a free bolt-through kit. Since it is available from Xigmatek for free for the 1283, I might guess that if you email OCZ and ask about it, you might have the same kind of luck I had and maybe they can send you a bolt-through kit.

EDIT:

As to the push pin installation - When I first installed mine, I did it with the fan off. I used a spring hook http://www.crawfordtool.com/springhooks2.html (I used "G" in the photo) to slip the fan mount slits over a fin and pushed them into the slot. I have one screw on my board I couldn't get to with the cooler installed, so it was either install with the board mounted or live with a screw missing.

Edited by six

I tore a fan mount on mine and emailed Xigmatek. they not only sent me a handful of fan mounts, but they also had me fill out a form, mail in my UPC, and in return, they gave me a free bolt-through kit. Since it is available from Xigmatek for free for the 1283, I might guess that if you email OCZ and ask about it, you might have the same kind of luck I had and maybe they can send you a bolt-through kit.

EDIT:

As to the push pin installation - When I first installed mine, I did it with the fan off. I used a spring hook http://www.crawfordtool.com/springhooks2.html (I used "G" in the photo) to slip the fan mount slits over a fin and pushed them into the slot. I have one screw on my board I couldn't get to with the cooler installed, so it was either install with the board mounted or live with a screw missing.

On my V2 I installed it on the board then installed the fan.Seems it gives a little more working room that way.But the bolt thru kit is the way to go in my opinion.

It's definitely a good cooler,I'd rate it ahead of all the other coolers Iv'e used (Tt Big Typhoon w/120x38 Panaflo,Tt Silent Tower w/2x92mm push/pull,TR XP-120 w/Panaflo)Those are some good coolers too.

Edited by Prospector