Nemo

Windows Xp Sp3

I don't notice that my computer runs any faster. For me the primary advantage of SP3 has been the reduction of Hotfixes and Updates after a fresh install of XP.

I've already got the SP3 Standalone, so I may try and create a slipstream installation CD and see if it works on the next build.

XP always has to be installed first, otherwise it just overwrites the bootloader, go figure it's MS afterall lol.

If there is a speed increase with SP3 it's marginal for me, I definitely haven't noticed anything significant.

XP always has to be installed first, otherwise it just overwrites the bootloader, go figure it's MS afterall lol.

I can't think of a single OS that doesn't overwrite the bootloader...

If there is a speed increase with SP3 it's marginal for me, I definitely haven't noticed anything significant.

ya theres hardly a difference, foxconn pc runs the same way it did on sp2

Edited by SuppA-SnipA

I can't think of a single OS that doesn't overwrite the bootloader...

Well let's see; Linux doesn't kill XP's bootloader, OS-X doesn't, Vista doesn't... but dare try to install XP after one of those... XP always gets installed first.

I had the beta when it first came out. Seems harmless but no mysterious advantage. I slipstreamed the final just because it keeps me from having to update. Yes the updates to SP2 probably weren't even necessary (as mentioned) but I always gave in and did them eventually ... no good reason.

Well let's see; Linux doesn't kill XP's bootloader, OS-X doesn't, Vista doesn't... but dare try to install XP after one of those... XP always gets installed first.

well, to be fair, 2 out of 3 of those OSs didn't exist when XP came out, so how could it detect an OS that didn't exist yet?

Also, ditch the SP3 beta and download the full version if you haven't already. SP3 beta screw with Remote Desktop. I had to uninstall it and install the final releae in order to be able to remote connect to anything.

Over the past day I've installed SP3 on the two machines in my signature. After a defrag, I don't see much difference in performance; I haven't done any benchmarks as yet. As for stability it's so far, so good.