Best Sub-$300 Cpu For A New Gaming Rig

arislan667

I'm building a whole new mostly-gaming rig. I'm just trying to figure out which CPU to base it around. I'm 100% going Intel. I want something under the $300 price point, so I've been looking at the Q6600, Q9300, and E8500.

Here's the System Specs I'm considering (Everything is debatable as nothing as been purchased):

CPU - Intel Q6600 or Q9300 or E8500 (or other suggestions)

CPU Cooling - Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro HSF

MB - Asus P5E3 Premium (for Q9300) or Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R (non-45nm chips)

Ram - With Asus P5E3 - 2gig DDR3 1600

With Gigabyte - 4gig Crucial Ballistix DDR2 800 PC2-6400

Video - GeForce 8800gtx

HD - Raptor 160 gig (OS Drive) and a 750gig Seagate I already have for storage

Power Supply - PC Power & Cooling Silencer S75Q 750W

DVD - Whatever I pick up.

Case - Undecided

OS - Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit (happen to have a brand new copy already)

I'm curious what people thing of the CPUs as well as response to the Asus P5E3 Premium, which seems overkill, but does allow for DDR3 ram.

I do plan to OC the system, which is why I'm skeptical of the Q9300 since it has a low multiplier, but it can get up to 3.5 ghz which is alright.

I'm open to any and all suggestions/debate.

The e8500 will serve you fine.

As far as the mobo goes, why get a ddr3 enabled mobo if you arent getting any ddr3?

I would probably skip the 8800 gtx at this point unless you're getting a good deal. Otherwise, just get a g92 8800 gts and OC that.

As far as the mobo goes, why get a ddr3 enabled mobo if you arent getting any ddr3?

Well, If I were getting the q9300, then I'd get the DDR3 ram. But, if I go with the e8500 which isn't 45nm then I'll be getting the DDR2 ram.

Although, I was curious if there was any point in just going with the DDR3 ram anyway, just to be prepared for the next upgrade.

Although, I was curious if there was any point in just going with the DDR3 ram anyway, just to be prepared for the next upgrade.

ddr3 is three times as expensive as ddr2 for no increase in performance...in my opinion...

Edited by airman

e8500 = 45nm, and why worry, the P35 is perfectally capable of running 45nm lol!

the only CPU worth using that isnt 45nm is the Q6600